BBS or Enkei???

HawaiianHaole
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Delaware
I really want to get some Antera 325 20" in Silver, but they are very pricey. I want to get a wheel that is silver rather than chrome. Anyone have any opinions on BBS or Enkei?

They are much more affordable. But are they quality wheels or are they crap?

This is for a truck/SUV.

BBS crap? lol, some F1 and Le Mans teams use BBS rims, my man. ENkei has been used successfully in Group A Rally cars. Hardly think both of these are crap.

BBS crap? lol, some F1 and Le Mans teams use BBS rims, my man. ENkei has been used successfully in Group A Rally cars. Hardly think both of these are crap.
Thanks for the response. Nice to hear they are good quality wheels. When I see a dramitic price drop between one wheel and another, it makes you wonder. Just being cautious, not judging.

Thanks for the response. Nice to hear they are good quality wheels. When I see a dramitic price drop between one wheel and another, it makes you wonder. Just being cautious, not judging.
There's this small "M" kinda mark on all quality rims (some quality control mark, it seems, and is cast on, not just a sticker) somewhere on the edge. If you see it, you're prolly good to go.

bbs is top notch rims. but they aren't aimed to "floss" in. they are performance wheels and hence their looks aren't always the best, ENKEI is more for flossing. just know that bbs wheels will probably never dent in.

bbs is top notch rims. but they aren't aimed to "floss" in. they are performance wheels and hence their looks aren't always the best, ENKEI is more for flossing. just know that bbs wheels will probably never dent in.
Denting is a safety feature of all reliable rims. I am more than sure I've seen BBS rims dent, even break on some occasions. If the rims do not give way, your steering column and your wrists will shater upon impact. This is a lot of cars come with alloy wheels.

If you don't want a rim to dent, then get solid steel rims. It iwll still dent if the impact is hard enough, but you prolly won't be abke to tell us about it for quite some time as typing would be pretty darn hard.

Exactly what is the difference between a high quality rim like a BBS and a mediocre quality rim of equal size/width/offset ? As in, will the consumer notice a difference while racing or while driving normally ?
on the streets, it's all about styling. Racing, it's a totally different story.

First, you want a rim that is light. There's heaps of diff in using a heavy rim as opposed to an ultralight rim that a company such as BBS and the likes churn out. THis is mostly on track though. Steering feel can actually differ. Also, you need a rim that can withstand bumps well, but also collapses easily enough during impact.

On rally cars, you'll mostly find those whhite rims with lots of spokes and a disc in the center. This design makes the rims much heavier, but in a rally, lil differences in rim weight is minimal. However, the inner rim has a significant role. Rally drivers are human, and they crash heir cars time to time. The first thing to go are usually rims.

The spokes might all break off, taking the whole tire with it, but the disc remians attached to the axle. The inner disc allows the car to limp to the next designated service stop.

General ruleof thumb, rally rims are somewhat heavier and stronger than rims designed for track use.

Some things I've noticed that affect wheel price:

Size (Of course): Larger means higher price

Material: Stampped steel--least expensive; Cast aluminum--Average price, most wheels use it; Forged aluminum--Stronger, lighter, but more expensive. Some car makers use this on OEM wheels (I.E: VW/Audi); Magnisium--Most expensive, lightest, but not the strongest. Typically found only in racing.

Finish: Rough, no finish--Cheapest; Painted--Almost as cheap; Machined--About the same as polished; Polished--About average; Anodized--Pricey, and hard to find; Chrome plate--Expensive; Multiple chrome plate with a warranty on the finish--REALLY expensive. I.E: Forgeline wheels (5yr. warranty).

Manufacturer: Who made them--Brand issue, some have a better reputation then others. BBS and Enkei will always command a higher price then say, American Racing.

Forged wheels can take more abuse than cast wheels, and I think BBS or Enkei are worth the money. The rest is picking a style you like.

As for hitting obsticles, which I try to avoid, the steering wheel might get knocked out of your hands usually only if the front wheels hit say, a curb, at an odd angle. I've done my fair share of curb-hopping and I haven't had the steering wheel knocked out of my hand yet; but then I haven't hit one at too fast of speed as of yet. In the case of accidentially hitting a large pot-hole, on lower profile tires, I've noticed that a forged aluminum wheel will usually come out of it fine, while a cast aluminum wheel probably will get dented or even break.

Since we're on the subject of rims, anyone have suggestions for a black 2000 Jetta GLS...i'm looking to go w/either 17's or 18's. Something decently light as I plan to do my engine work next.

Since we're on the subject of rims, anyone have suggestions for a black 2000 Jetta GLS...i'm looking to go w/either 17's or 18's. Something decently light as I plan to do my engine work next.
Go to http://www.tirerack.com and look up wheels for your car. They have 97 different models for your car when I looked; and they give you a preview of what the wheels would look like on a Jetta. The BBS RGR looks nice in 18, but there are many nice ones to choose from. If weight is a concern, concider staying with 17's; no more then a light set of 18's. The Tire Rack is also a very good web site to choose tires (Not necessarily buy from); see the tires and read reviews on them. Me, I like the Michelin Pilot sport on a performance sedan.

http://www.discounttire.com also has 99 models in 17 in. and 73 models in 18 in. you can look up. No preview ability, but you can see the wheels. From them, I found the Einkei 5+ and the TSW Kyalami (Black) to be nice looking and light; good wheel manufacturers too.

Take a look and see what you like--Later.

on the streets, it's all about styling. Racing, it's a totally different story.
First, you want a rim that is light. There's heaps of diff in using a heavy rim as opposed to an ultralight rim that a company such as BBS and the likes churn out. THis is mostly on track though. Steering feel can actually differ. Also, you need a rim that can withstand bumps well, but also collapses easily enough during impact.

On rally cars, you'll mostly find those whhite rims with lots of spokes and a disc in the center. This design makes the rims much heavier, but in a rally, lil differences in rim weight is minimal. However, the inner rim has a significant role. Rally drivers are human, and they crash heir cars time to time. The first thing to go are usually rims.

The spokes might all break off, taking the whole tire with it, but the disc remians attached to the axle. The inner disc allows the car to limp to the next designated service stop.

General ruleof thumb, rally rims are somewhat heavier and stronger than rims designed for track use.
yeah and dont ferget to mention that some wheels are cast, while more expensive ones are forged.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

HawaiianHaole

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
HawaiianHaole
Delaware
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date