Bass upgrade help

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ronoman
10+ year member

Hi all! I am going to be upgrading my subwoofer setup this fall and I would like some help on what to do.. To begin I'll list everything I have now, and tell you the 2 scenarios I have come up with for my upgrade.

Current System: Alpine MRX 1100 powering 2 PSI level 1 12's and a Rockford punch 400w 4 channel powering a bunch of stuff.

Current electrical: a stock 160amp Chrysler alternator, stock front battery and an XS power D975 in the trunk. All of the wire is NVX 4awg.

This fall I will be upgrading my electrical extensivly and I figured I would upgrade my sub stage as well..

Electrical upgrade: Singer 350a alternator, D975 up front, D1200 trunk and all NVX 1/0awg.

My question is which of the next two options would be best for me, because I have two dual 2ohm coils, which means I can wire them to 0.5ohm,2ohm, or 8 ohm.

Option 1: Get 2 1000w amps and strap them to 2ohms, giving each amp a 1ohm load.

Option 2: Get 1 2000w amp and run it at 0.5ohm.

I know 0.5ohm is frowned upon unless you have a strong electrical, which I think I will have.

Thank you for any help!!

PS Option 1 I am thinking 2 Soundstream Rubicon 1000s and for option 2 I am thinking a SoundQuebed 2200.

What do you have for a box? if you're looking for louder a custom-built box is a better option than adding more power.

Do your Big 3 before upgrading your alternator.

If you're happy with your current box, why not an amp that will do 2k+ at 2 ohms?

What do you have for a box? if you're looking for louder a custom-built box is a better option than adding more power.

Do your Big 3 before upgrading your alternator.

If you're happy with your current box, why not an amp that will do 2k+ at 2 ohms?

What do you have for a box? if you're looking for louder a custom-built box is a better option than adding more power.Do your Big 3 before upgrading your alternator.

I already have an amazing box! Brian from StarrMountainSound built it specifically for my PSI's to make them as loud as possible. Its 4.0cuft tuned to 33hz.

Because I can't find a good amp that will do 2K @ 2ohms for less than $450

I already have an amazing box! Brian from StarrMountainSound built it specifically for my PSI's to make them as loud as possible. Its 4.0cuft tuned to 33hz.Because I can't find a good amp that will do 2K @ 2ohms for less than $450
Check the forum classifieds

not sure how much your paying for NVX 0/1 wire but the retail prices on those are a little bit steep, go for knukonceptz OFC its only 4 dollars a foot compared to nvx's 8 dollars a foot. Quality is practically the same. Put that money into other parts of your system. For the amp choice, i think after all your electrical upgrades, your system can easily handle the AQ 2200 at .5 ohms.

not sure how much your paying for NVX 0/1 wire but the retail prices on those are a little bit steep, go for knukonceptz OFC its only 4 dollars a foot compared to nvx's 8 dollars a foot. Quality is practically the same. Put that money into other parts of your system. For the amp choice, i think after all your electrical upgrades, your system can easily handle the AQ 2200 at .5 ohms.
I'm paying $170 for 40ft of NVX which isn't bad! I only need like 25 feet so 50 would be too much!

Would doing the two soundstreams be a little safer? Because I've heard of people with good electrical losing amps at 0.5ohm... I don't want to worry if my amp is gonna die all of a sudden..

thats a good price for the wire, amazon and sonic electronix charge up the yinyang for NVX stuff lol.

They lose amps because either

1: they ran amps that cant handle .5 ohms.

2: they are having voltage drops under 12.5

3: Its too hot where they live and the amps get overheated easily

A lot of people run AQ amps at .5 ohms daily, they are built pretty tough. You could also run two AQ 1200s at 1 ohm, its a higher grade then the Rubicons, Soundstream Rubicons arent bad but they sorta fall into Hifonics territory quality wise.

thats a good price for the wire, amazon and sonic electronix charge up the yinyang for NVX stuff lol.
They lose amps because either

1: they ran amps that cant handle .5 ohms.

2: they are having voltage drops under 12.5

3: Its too hot where they live and the amps get overheated easily

A lot of people run AQ amps at .5 ohms daily, they are built pretty tough. You could also run two AQ 1200s at 1 ohm, its a higher grade then the Rubicons, Soundstream Rubicons arent bad but they sorta fall into Hifonics territory quality wise.
Is there a good strappable 1000w amp other than Soundstream? Because two AQ1200s is $540.. which is a lot.. but I know that would be my safest, best sounding and longest lasting option. Doesnt SoundQuebed do a pretty good christmas sale?

Is there a good strappable 1000w amp other than Soundstream? Because two AQ1200s is $540.. which is a lot.. but I know that would be my safest, best sounding and longest lasting option. Doesnt SoundQuebed do a pretty good christmas sale?
well black friday comming up soon so wait on it for a bit.

I'm paying $170 for 40ft of NVX which isn't bad! I only need like 25 feet so 50 would be too much!Would doing the two soundstreams be a little safer? Because I've heard of people with good electrical losing amps at 0.5ohm... I don't want to worry if my amp is gonna die all of a sudden..
You will be fine with that Aq at .5 ... If you gave that amp a choice it would tell you to wire it crazy low so it can wake up .. Lol but on a serious note with rise daily your .5 load is going to rise a good amount anyways ... With that electric that amp will take it daily just fine

You will be fine with that Aq at .5 ... If you gave that amp a choice it would tell you to wire it crazy low so it can wake up .. Lol but on a serious note with rise daily your .5 load is going to rise a good amount anyways ... With that electric that amp will take it daily just fine
You really think I'd be okay? Would setting the gains to 2000w make it harder to mess up the amp?

You really think I'd be okay? Would setting the gains to 2000w make it harder to mess up the amp?
With your electrical wired at .5 you can see well over 2k with that amp... And yes you'll be fine there are several members on here running that amp that will tell you the same .. And I've owned one personally .. They are solid amps man

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.