Bass on a budget, need some advice.

SkwurlyFab
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
SD
A friend of a friend is wanting to get two 12's and a new HU added to his Expedition. He gave me a call and asked if I could install it for him and I said I could help him out. He didn't know what he wanted brandwise so that's a good thing cuz usually most people want the standard JL or Kicker or whatever you know? The only thing he said is he wants to spend about 500 bucks, but if it costs a little more then that's allright. I told him 700 max but I'd try and keep it lower.

So I want to put two 12" Assasins in his trunk, but I'm not sure what to power them with. Some people say they feed them 250 and some people are feeding em 500. Either way, what's a good amp for around 150 that would power these 2 subs? They're single 4 ohm btw.

Oh and one other thing, I know Type R's can be had for about the same price if I look really hard, but would they be any louder then the Assasins or about the same? I know they take more power, but just how big would the difference be?

i just took a bout a hour ride in my ram, just a joyride.. and man, everytime i go out and jam, i love my assassin 12s even more.. man do they hit.. i absolutely love them.. and arent quite as power hungry as type r's.. so go with your gut, they are great..

as for a amp to power them, my phoenix gold x600.1 sure does the job, look in the classifieds on here. zfactor has a couple for sale for a good deal.. also ebay has them for $200 delivered(i recommend millionbuy)... i am first to admit there are allot of amps that fit this bill, but this one works with assassin 12's i promise, it is what i have and love : )

and this amp will pump out 700-800 watts in 2 ohm, (2 - 4 ohm assassins = 2 ohm) so it has all the juice you need and more.. 250 is a little on the low side, but the 350rms on those subs sounds AWESOME, and they can take even more DAILY! i have high preout voltage(6.5v), but i only have the gain at a little less then half way up on it..

thats about 200 for the subs, 200 for the amp.. still on the low side: )

HU is another story, but i hear the alpine 9856? is good, and about 160ish.. pioneer premieres are also excellent.

and they internally fan cooled.. mine has never gotten more then warm.. and it sits under the driver seat, for lack of space in the truck..

The specs say the PG 600 does 600 at 1-4 ohms like a JL amp would. but that's only 300 a piece. I'd like to give em around 400 a piece I think.

i know, but the pg amps are well documented as to doing better tyhen 800 watts rms.. they are REALLY overbuilt.. i have seen birthsheets showing 879 watts rms at 4 ohm. search for x60.1 on this forum, youwill see allot of talk about it..

Yeah I actually just read that. That's nice to hear that they're that underrated. Plus someones selling a couple of em in the classifieds right now so I just might have to scoop one up!

i have owned a few high end amps... includeing a orion 2150 sx in high school that ran me $700 at the local audio shop.. and this amp hangs with anything i have ever played with.. excellent amp..

I sure have heard alot of good things about those assasins. Can they really compare to the type R's? I am thinking of getting sometime in the future. My only problem is I am a little hesitant about gettting anything that I haven't heard with my own ears. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif The one big thing around here is if enough knowledgable people say that a product is good it probaby is. I say this because i learned alot from the people on here. It has been a big help to me so thanks all!

Yeah I've never heard the assassins in person so I'd like to put em in this kids car if he can pony up the extra bucks. He's saying he wants to go with one 12 but I really wanna do 2 lol.

i had one at first and it was great too.. i gained some overall dbs when i got the 2nd one, but was very happy with once i got it in a big enough box.. when i first got mine i had a prefab box that wasnt nearly large enough.. so i thought i needed a 2nd sub, so i orderd a 2nd and a larger amp (went from orion 4002 (400X1rms)to PG x600.1)

in the mean time i built my new box for the pair.. only large enough cuft this time.. and in reality once i built a good box, one assassin sounded amazing..(i ran it that way a few days till the 2nd arrived) but i dont mind having 2 : ) you cant make it tooo loud can you ; )

the only downside on this box is that when it is in position, you cant see the subs : ( i like watching the excursion lol

IMG_3977.JPG

yes the seat goes down

i had one at first and it was great too.. i gained some overall dbs when i got the 2nd one, but was very happy with once i got it in a big enough box.. when i first got mine i had a prefab box that wasnt nearly large enough.. so i thought i needed a 2nd sub, so i orderd a 2nd and a larger amp (went from orion 4002 (400X1rms)to PG x600.1)in the mean time i built my new box for the pair.. only large enough cuft this time.. and in reality once i built a good box, one assassin sounded amazing..(i ran it that way a few days till the 2nd arrived) but i dont mind having 2 : ) you cant make it tooo loud can you ; )

the only downside on this box is that when it is in position, you cant see the subs : ( i like watching the excursion lol

IMG_3977.JPG

yes the seat goes down
upfiring ported.........//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif

2098981_11_full.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.