Are Bosch alternators any good?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I'm looking for a HO alternator for my 91 Dodge Spirit, but can't find any companies that list that old of a car in their catalog. I did a google search and this came up from JC Whitney
http://www.jcwhitney.com/bosch-alternators/p2018615.jcwx?skuId=487781&TID=froogle&91DoSpBos430082

What say you?
Not knowing what your budget is or what your goals are but here is what I can say. That’s just not much of an alternator. Companies that build good high output alternators don’t list every car ever made because almost any alternator will work with the right brackets. The company that I see a lot of competitors using is Ohio generator. I like the 140 amp alternators that I get from Cadillac escalades. They fit on many different cars and trucks like my ford truck and I get them for $25 bucks at the local junkyard. I have to make a bracket sometimes but that’s no big deal when it saves me 2 or 3 hundred dollars.

Well I'm looking for a beefier alternator so that I can put my sub in my car (it only has a 60 or 75-amp). I'm not looking to break the bank. Mechman emailed me back and said for their 140-amp, it's $500 (or something **** near there). I'm looking more for like $150

If that's your price, ask bosch for output at your real idle rpm and where it actually does 200 amps.

But you have only 1500 watts, why do you think you need a high output alt? Do you not have a 2nd battery?

Actually it's only 870w + 50w speaker amp so I'm only pushing 920w at the max, but still, this car has a little puny alternator. Even in my Expedition the headlights would dim, but no I hadn't done the Big 3.

And to answer your question, no I don't have a second battery and never have.

But I figured I need a high-output alt because if my math is correct:

870 / 12.8 = 68 amps

I don't want to be running my little alternator into the ground

Yeah I wanted to do the Big 3 but never got around to it. I'm definitely going to with my little car, though.

But still, do you think a 60 or 75 amp alternator is good enough for 900 watts?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.