AQ1200D + 2 Soundstream Rubicon 10" subs issues..

BastianM3
10+ year member

Hey guys, I've had these for about a month now, and they just don't seem to be hitting as hard as expected. It's my first amp and sub setup, and i've got the right size ported box for them, with speaker displacement taken into consideration.

I've heard that the Soundstream subs are really great, and have also heard great things about the Audioque 1200d amps as well. Some of my friends that used to have systems said, "this could be hitting a lot harder for 10's", which makes me even more curious.

I've got the subs wired at 1 ohm, appropriately for 2 DVC 4 ohm subs. (all positives together, all negatives together)

My lights have been dimming pretty badly when the bass hits, so I turn it down. I've also noticed that it clips pretty easily as well. Are there any tests I should do with a dmm, etc? Also, I noticed that one of the subs had a burn mark (brownish) on one of the terminals. It made me curious as to whether the sub was used or something. Any ideas guys? I've got all the Bass boost etc off on the HU, trying not to clip, and get some decent bass.

i would address you power system issues first, big three at least, maybe an extra battery. the amp should be pulling roughly 100 amps, so you may be okay with big three and an extra battery.

so do big three and set gains appropriately until you get the battery. use a DMM to adjust gains, if you dont know how, youtube it. clipping is bad for subs

also you say you have the "appropriate" box. did you build the box? or is it a prefab?

Those subs are not that good and your starving the amp. Cheaper amps that make power at 1ohm like that audioque are power hungry.
lutz at the cheaper amp remark. big 3 and at least a extra battery or 2 for that amp. what size alt do you have also? power wire size?

Oh, and i'm only pushing like 900 RMS lol. The subs only push out 450 RMS 1000w peak each. Do I really need a battery in the back?

It ***** that SoundStream isn't what it used to be. I used to have some Pro 12's back in the late 90's that slammed for being single 4 ohms and sounded good.

lol, so do I NEED another battery with only 900RMS? or do I just need the big three?
wouldn't hurt with both. the more you can put into beefing up your electrical the better. imo what you put into your system, spend that on your electrical also

Well, it's a $250 amp. So what can I do which is least expensive, but will give some decent results? I'm thinking about getting some Audioque SDC2.5 12s instead of these Rubicons, but I don't think that will "solve" my problem. The amp is clipping so much because it can't pull enough power, right?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.