any 4X10's?

Participant count
  • Participant list

maylar
10+ year member

Electrical Weenie
Connecticut
A friend has a classic 70's muscle car with a 10 ohm 4X10 speaker. He's looking for a replacement. I'm sure an 8 ohm would work, but they say a 4 ohm would burn out the old Delco radio. It's a show car and upgrading the radio is not an option. Anybody know if 8 ohm 4X10's are still out there?

I can't find a 8ohm ... only 4ohm (Kicker, Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer).

What car is it? I can try pinpointing the factory speakers from a restoration company.

- Steve

So it narrows it down to the Camaro/Firebird, Corvette, El Camino, Malibu (Chevelle), yadda yadda yadda.

I'll browse though my restoration book with all of the stock parts.

- Steve

What I have done for customers in the past is use a ceramic resistor of the appropriate value to raise the resistance of the speaker. For instance.... adding a 6 ohm resistor to the speaker will bring the resistance of the speaker to 10 ohm etc.

if the stock radio look is important, why not just cut the faceplate and leave it on only for show,and behind it can rest a more modern unit.

Also, couldn't he get speaker to RCA jacks and use an amp instead?

What I have done for customers in the past is use a ceramic resistor of the appropriate value to raise the resistance of the speaker. For instance.... adding a 6 ohm resistor to the speaker will bring the resistance of the speaker to 10 ohm etc.
Yea, others have suggested that too. But that drops speaker power by 60%. And when there's only 2.5 watts to start with (old non-bridged radio design)...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

maylar

10+ year member
Electrical Weenie
maylar
Connecticut
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date