Amplifier Desireability Quotient (ADQ)

Jay Mack
10+ year member

There are so many amplifier manufacturers out there it is hard to know which ones are any good or how to keep them straight. I can't remember if U.S. Amps, or Boss or any of the others are premium or discount manufacturers. I'd like to get your rating, based upon your experience and knowledge, on your information and belief, as to how each manfacturer's product rates on a 1 to 5 scale.

I'm not talking about individual models. I mean the amp as a whole.I guess I'd put Alpine a 1 because I have a few I'm very happy with, and I gues I'd put JL Audio as a 1 because they have great word of mouth. But could you help me fill in with all the other amps out there? I had a pretty good experience with Alphasonic a while back, but it's cheap, so I'd give it a 3.

Apline = 1

JL Audio = 1

Alphasonic = 3

Here's a list of amps from eBay. Maybe you know something about some of them:

Absolute AudioControl Audiofonics; Audiopipe; Audiovox; Audison; Autotek; Avionixx; Baja;

Bazooka;Behringer;Blaupunkt;Bose;Boss;Boston Acoustics;Brax;Butler Audio;Adcom;A D S;Alphasonik

Alpine American Bass American Legacy American Pro Arc Audio Audio Art Audiobahn Cadence

Canton Carver Cdt Audio Cerwin Vega Channel Plus Cherokee Clarion Clif Designs Competition

Concept Coustic Crossfire Crunch Crystal Mobilesound DB Drive DHD Diamond Audio Diesel Audio

Digital Audio Digital Designs Directed DLS Dual Earthquake Sound Eclipse EFX Elemental Designs Emerson Factory, OEM Farenheit Formula Fusion Genesis Hafler Harman Kardon Helix Hifonics Hitron

HP Infinity Interfire JBL Jensen JL Audio JVC Kenwood Kicker Koiiler Kole Audio Lanzar LA Sound

Legacy Lightning Audio Linear Power Logic Soundlab MA Audio Majestic Massive MB Quart McIntosh

MDX Memphis Metra Metrik MMATS Mobile Authority MTX Nakamichi Namsung Nitro O2 Optimus Orion OZ Audio Performance Teknique Phase Linear Phoenix Digital Phoenix Gold Pioneer Planar Planet Audio Polk Audio Power Acoustik Precision Power Profile Pyle Pyramid Quad Quantum Audio

Radio Shack Reality Rockford Fosgate Rockwood Rubicon Samson Scosche Shark Sherwood Sony

Sound Storm Soundstream SPL Audio Swiss Audio Targa Tsunami Ultra Linear US Acoustics US Amps Vector Verge Visonik Volfenhag Xtant Zapco Zed Audio

I'm sure that 80% of these amps are the same amp manufactured by the same Chinaman and just marketed under a different name. Rate those a 5.

Maybe you could rate 'em and comment for me, if you know something 'on information and belief,' and tell me which ones are repetive junk and which are actually technological efforts to produce a good product.

Does that sound like fun?

There are so many amplifier manufacturers out there it is hard to know which ones are any good or how to keep them straight. I can't remember if U.S. Amps, or Boss or any of the others are premium or discount manufacturers. I'd like to get your rating, based upon your experience and knowledge, on your information and belief, as to how each manfacturer's product rates on a 1 to 5 scale.
I'm not talking about individual models. I mean the amp as a whole.I guess I'd put Alpine a 1 because I have a few I'm very happy with, and I gues I'd put JL Audio as a 1 because they have great word of mouth. But could you help me fill in with all the other amps out there? I had a pretty good experience with Alphasonic a while back, but it's cheap, so I'd give it a 3.

Apline = 1

JL Audio = 1

Alphasonic = 3

Here's a list of amps from eBay. Maybe you know something about some of them:

Absolute AudioControl Audiofonics; Audiopipe; Audiovox; Audison; Autotek; Avionixx; Baja;

Bazooka;Behringer;Blaupunkt;Bose;Boss;Boston Acoustics;Brax;Butler Audio;Adcom;A D S;Alphasonik

Alpine American Bass American Legacy American Pro Arc Audio Audio Art Audiobahn Cadence

Canton Carver Cdt Audio Cerwin Vega Channel Plus Cherokee Clarion Clif Designs Competition

Concept Coustic Crossfire Crunch Crystal Mobilesound DB Drive DHD Diamond Audio Diesel Audio

Digital Audio Digital Designs Directed DLS Dual Earthquake Sound Eclipse EFX Elemental Designs Emerson Factory, OEM Farenheit Formula Fusion Genesis Hafler Harman Kardon Helix Hifonics Hitron

HP Infinity Interfire JBL Jensen JL Audio JVC Kenwood Kicker Koiiler Kole Audio Lanzar LA Sound

Legacy Lightning Audio Linear Power Logic Soundlab MA Audio Majestic Massive MB Quart McIntosh

MDX Memphis Metra Metrik MMATS Mobile Authority MTX Nakamichi Namsung Nitro O2 Optimus Orion OZ Audio Performance Teknique Phase Linear Phoenix Digital Phoenix Gold Pioneer Planar Planet Audio Polk Audio Power Acoustik Precision Power Profile Pyle Pyramid Quad Quantum Audio

Radio Shack Reality Rockford Fosgate Rockwood Rubicon Samson Scosche Shark Sherwood Sony

Sound Storm Soundstream SPL Audio Swiss Audio Targa Tsunami Ultra Linear US Acoustics US Amps Vector Verge Visonik Volfenhag Xtant Zapco Zed Audio

I'm sure that 80% of these amps are the same amp manufactured by the same Chinaman and just marketed under a different name. Rate those a 5.

Maybe you could rate 'em and comment for me, if you know something 'on information and belief,' and tell me which ones are repetive junk and which are actually technological efforts to produce a good product.

Does that sound like fun?
Apline is a knock off, i give it a 10

I'd give Alpine a 1 though.

Alright, well let me put it anouther way. What are the 5 best amps, the five worst amps and the 5 middle of the road amps, based upon overall reputation and your experience?

1 = US Amps, Zed stuff, Zapco, old amps

5hit!!!! = Boss, Dual, Absolute

RADIO SHACK = -1000!!!!!!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif :D //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

some companies just flat out make good amps. Some have certain product lines that are good while the others arent. Nobody is gonna sit here wasting thier time rating stuff for you. Stick around the forums and you'll see what everyone is using and learn some stuff. Cant list 5 good amps, since there is mono, 4 channel, different crossover options etc.

Some BOSS amps are zed-made.
and, some boss amps were total crap........ this is too hard of a question for anyone to sit down and answer. aside from the big list, many amp names are up and down in quality/performance. knock your "1"s down to a 2, and put the bad-azz ones at one. for instance, McIntosh and X-tant amps are a timeless 1, but are the cream of the crop tangible "exotics", in the sence, that you can pony up a good amout of cash to own one, they are pretty much the highest quality, but not many are willing to buy them, due to the cost/output ratio. then there are the 2 types of "name-riders" type 1, would be rockford, for example. they mass produce mundane amps that just work as rated in the best case scenario, but also, they regularly throw the bad-azz "cheaters" or underrates in the mix to keep the hub-bub floating around about the freind's friend, who had one that put out 3x rated rms. then. there is the other type of name-rider, like pioneer, sony, soudstream, and i hate to say- kicker and directed. they have an awesome reputation for building some of the baddest amps in the mass-market, yet, current products are nothing more than average, at best, and usually made cheap. then you have the high tech average> bult, like jbl, jl, and some models of others, such as phoenix gold, rf, and so on. if you take that high tech out of the equasion, then there really isn't anything worth writing home about with them. you get the pic.... it comes down to what you are looking for in the amp. we can pick out the complete crap, but i'm not sure that will help that much, lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.