Alpine vs JL Audio and other info too

Participant count
  • Participant list

njszb1gman
10+ year member

NJ
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum. I have an 05 honda civic ex coupe. As of now, i have all alpine type s speakers, Alpine CDA-9886 head unit, Alpine MRP.M1000 Amplifier, and I HAD two 12" JL Audio 12w0v2 subs in a ported box. I believe it was a 4 ohm setup. The 12w0v2 at rated at 300rms a piece. They hit very hard, for their size, weight, and specs. The problem is that they couldn't handle the 1000 watts, so they blew. I had warranty on them and had them shipped out to be replaced/fixed. As of now, I'm stuck with nothing in the trunk. I was looking at Alpine Type R Subs. It seems that they would fit perfectly with the 1000 watt amp. Do you think I should buy the two 12" type r's, or should i stick with the JL's (when i get them back), or should i get something else? If you have any ideas, please let me know.

The problem is you had your subs wired at 2 ohms if you had them in parallel since the 12w0v2 a 4 ohm single voice coil subwoofer. If the signs were obvious that you overpowered them, don't be surprised if they are NOT replaced/repaired under warranty. Trust me, it will be obvious if they were overpowered when they tear your subs apart. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Before you go into purchasing the type Rs, do you know what size your enclosure is and what frequency the port is tuned to? The reason I ask is because type Rs will sound like garbage if the enclosure is too small.

were the subs in a sealed or ported enclosure?

The type R is a solid sub, and you're not gonna screw them up with only 1000 watts unless you don't utilize the subsonic filter.

also try to put your thoughts in paragraphs or the other fucktards here will eat you alive.

Gunz: I had my system done professionally at Auto Image (NJ). I'm not sure what the ports are tuned to and all but i can post some pictures with detail and such. All I know is that 1: It's a big box (heavy too), 2: Each sub has its own port (left Sub = left Port / right sub = right port). The ports comes out the front center of the box in between the subs. and BTW, I am aware that personal damage done to subs by overpowering voids the warranty and wont be replaced, but the guy who did my setup said i have an 85%-90% chance or getting new ones or having them fixed. Who knows.

Snoop: My JL 12w0v2's were enclosed in a ported box. I'm not too sure what you mean with the utilizing the subsonic filter. And if that little paragraph is too much for you to handle, then i dont know what to tell you. Maybe this little personal paragraph for you is much better.

I just did a little playing around with the Alpine Type R sub in BassBox Pro. IF your enclosure was built to the JL Audio specification of 1.75 cubic feet per sub with the port tuned to 26 Hz, you would be golden for dropping in a pair of Type R subs.

I would recommending purchasing the 2 ohm dual voice coil version of the Type R subs. Wire each individual sub in series for a 4 ohm nominal load, then parallel the pair to come back down to a 2 ohm nominal load.

As for the subsonic filter, since system was professionally installed, they should have already set that for you. In fact, they should have set your gains conservatively so that you wouldn't end up roasting your subwoofers in the first place.

OK, cool, well i'm not sure if the sub box was tuned for the JL, but i just took some pictures of my box...

Front..

2ln8krn.jpg

Sticker on inside..

2dbkk6b.jpg

Back..

2m61pfr.jpg

Side shot..

2efhqn6.jpg

Dimensions..

http://i50.tinypic.com/16hsp5j.jpg

i know that box well it is 1.53 cf per chamber even the sticker says its 1.5 lol

as far as the paragraph he meant use sentences and break it up. when you have 1 huge 15 line paragraph no 1wants to read it

i know that box well it is 1.53 cf per chamber even the sticker says its 1.5 lol

as far as the paragraph he meant use sentences and break it up. when you have 1 huge 15 line paragraph no 1wants to read it
What is the tuning frequency on it? I guestimated tuning in the 50 to 55 Hz range just based on the dimensions posted by the OP and guessing the port dimensions.

well im lookin for a system that just punches you in the back of the head. Yeah sound quality is good but i'd rather have the punch

well im lookin for a system that just punches you in the back of the head. Yeah sound quality is good but i'd rather have the punch
In that case, the Type R subs would have been a better choice than the JL Audio Subs. Granted, I never used the Type Rs myself, but from the setups I've heard using them, they tend to play pretty dang loud.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.