8in kickpods for midbasses...sealed or IB? substage air pressure issue too.

Participant count
  • Participant list

BassAddictJ
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
FL
The 8's will be a pair of JL 8w1's, possibly something else if I dont get the response I want out of them. I want them playing 70hz hpf -18db up to ideally 350hz-400hz lpf -18db. For this kind of freq range am I better off sealing the pods and getting these close to recommended volume specs, or IB into the door cavity.

I'm somewhat partial to sealing them. All my 6.5in midbasses in the past havent reacted well with the air pressure created from the BTL. With the bass off and the front full tilt eveyrthing is fine, midbasses are set conservatively and sound great. Soon as i turn the sub up full tilt the midbass cones are pulled/thrown past thier mechanical limits, and eventually blowing them within a week or two of playing. I figure with an 8 and a sealed enclosure the midbass will have better control over the cone. Correct me if I'm crazy...

If it is any consolation, I plan on running 8's in my doors too. They will be sealed. I want em to run same as you 70-400ish. If you are underpowering them, IB them, if giving em full RMS+ run sealed.

I ran Critical Mass MB82 in my ram, they were IB and were powered by a sax 100.2 at 2ohms/ch. They sounded great, no issues with pressure from the sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.