89 buick century turns off when come to a stop

Twistid
5,000+ posts

i recently picked up a 89 buick century and it turns off when comming to a stop at a stoplight or something, it turns back on when u crank the key and it goes like fine , any suggestions???

also sometimes when u give it gas if u have it to the floor its the same as if u only press it about 1/4 of the way down???

pls help!

dunno bout hte 1st q

as for the second q, same with my car man.... i have to floor it so i can go normal speed its normal... you get used to it after a while. 0- 60 in like 30 seconds //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

the car is fuel injected, you think it may be just a tuneup needed and new spark plugs + that kinda stuff?

EDIT!!

ok i think i found the problem, the muffler happend to have rusted clean off and theres major rust on all the rear section of the exhaust pipe behind the cat. converter

i believe that this may be the problem of stalling out when comming to a stop because i had a subaru that puttered when comming to a stop and it had a minor hole in the exhaust,

how much do you think a rear section of exhaust would be behidn cat converter, i dont think much since its just bent tubing but i guess ill call around

Same thing happened in my old metro. It wound up being the TPS or Throttle Position Sensor (as posted above). Also, if that doesnt work, try taking off your MAF sensor and spraying the inside of it with carb cleaner.

maybe the fuel injectors are stopped up... when my cars fuel injectors stoped up it like jerked alot and went kinda slow and it also stalled when i came to a stop.

but then again if u say you mash it down full throttle its prollie not the tps cuz when the tps goes bad its usually around 1/4 the way becuzz thats where the tps spends most of its time when cruising. youre obvioiusly laccing power which can be one of many reasons. for instance, a misfire. or something causing your injectors to not introduce the amount of fuel needed.

Here is solution and I will bet $5 on it.

TCC Solenoid...It is a deal in your transmission that keeps the clutch engaged on highway speeds. Is it less noticeable slowing down from 30 mph than slowing down from 15 mph. If so then I bet it is the soleniod. It is a ***** to replace if you ave the 2.2L, dunno about the 6. On my 2.2L it is located on the right near the battery kinda. I payed $35 for part and $200 for labor.

There should be a connector with 3 wires sticking out of the front. If you send me some pics of your engine bay I can show you or look for Torque Covertor Clutch solendoid. You can disconnect it but it hurts gas mileage. Some say it hurts transmission, others say it doesn't ( i am talking about leaving it that way, not just for 1 or 2 day testing). It is free to try.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.