?

Participant count
  • Participant list

91explorerV6
10+ year member

New York
I got a crappy little Pyramid 300 watt arctic series amp for free with a car I bought

I decided to mess around with it in my truck for the heck of it so I hooked it all up

and powered a 10" Polk Subwoofer sounded surprisingly loud then one of my fellow

dummys said "hey what would happen if you spliced RCA cords into one of the speaker lines" so we decided to try it I cut the RCA cord and when we got the coating off there were to sets of wire a small wire in the middle of a bunch of thicker strands of wire the thinner was in its own coating though im sure you all know what an RCA cord looks like lol anyways we spliced it into a speaker wire and hooked it back up to the sub wich them pounded like crazy the bass out of that one 10 was insane so I left it like that for probably 6 months then decided to hook it up the right way with a fresh set of RCA's out of my Head Unit when I did this the sub was real quiet so after a few days I decided to change it back so I hooked it back up the way it was and now it sounds like crap its so distorted you cannot make out bass notes

Did I blow the amp or something? I know its not the sub cause I tried 4 of my other 10 inch subwoofers (Rockford Fosgate Jensen and another Polk) and they all did the same thing. Also why was it so much louder when It was spliced into the speaker wire? I dunno just thought it was interesting dont really care if I blew the amp it was just a pyramid lol

wow.....

RCA inputs are for low voltage ONLY, when you go and put more voltage on those of course it's gonna be loud, but you are gonna fry your amp (specifically the Inputs), so yeah, your amp is junk now. I have seen this many times in My Pro audio career where guys will hook one amp to another. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif

But on the bright side of things you have a very good paper weight now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

actually I unhooked it all and hooked everything up the right way and its pretty loud again

not sure what was wrong with it but its workin good now and as for why I would drive around with it for 6 months

Speeding tickets insane Car Insurance and dating put a cramp on my cash flow lol and you shoulhdnt get so mad

drum437 Its only a pyramid lol prolly 45$ I got it for free

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

91explorerV6

10+ year member
91explorerV6
New York
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from