4v or 8v

ehe dimmage was when my lights dimmed when my bass hit. I am living proof that an optima is better than a capacitor.

ehe dimmage was when my lights dimmed when my bass hit. I am living proof that an optima is better than a capacitor.
haha cool.i have dimmage..when i played in da club my deck cutout cuz the bass hit it so hard it couldnt track it.and the lights on the deck would dim a lil..course everybody must get skipping tracks cuz they bass is so great.

if it is installed right the deck shouldnt skip for daily driving bass. You also have an older used deck so that is probably why. You deck could be pretty dirty to. That adds to how much it skips.

Yes get a new battery first and i do recommend optima. After that get a High output alternator and screw the cap all together. Youll have a pretty decent power system then

if it is installed right the deck shouldnt skip for daily driving bass. You also have an older used deck so that is probably why. You deck could be pretty dirty to. That adds to how much it skips.
Yes get a new battery first and i do recommend optima. After that get a High output alternator and screw the cap all together. Youll have a pretty decent power system then
ya once i get a new car im gonna uprage the batt and the alt..but if i upgrade the batt ill get moved up a class and i dont want that.

The signal is cleaner the lower the THD
The higher voltage just lets the current flow higher. It doesnt change how clean the signal is.

Wrong.

Higher pre-out voltages allow for a "cleaner" signal to arrive to the amplifier. The higher voltages allow for the actual audio portion of the signal to be 'louder' than any noise that may be on or near the interconnect. It also allows for a lower gain setting.

Contrary to popular belief, 4V head units are not "louder" than 2V head units, 8V head units are not louder than 4V head units. You match the input sensitivity ("Gain control") on the amplifier to match the signal being input to the amplifier from the head unit. If you have the gain control adjusted to get full power out of the amplifier, weather you are running a 2V or an 8V out head unit, it's going to be just as loud. 2V head units will have to use a higher gain setting, which may allow for more noise and in some poor quality amplifiers, some hiss.

If you use a head unit with 8V preouts on an amplifier that only accepts 4V in, you will be severly distorting the amplifier when you turn it up. I'd either use a line attenuator or get a better matched HU/Amplifier combination.

Wrong.
Higher pre-out voltages allow for a "cleaner" signal to arrive to the amplifier. The higher voltages allow for the actual audio portion of the signal to be 'louder' than any noise that may be on or near the interconnect. It also allows for a lower gain setting.

Contrary to popular belief, 4V head units are not "louder" than 2V head units, 8V head units are not louder than 4V head units. You match the input sensitivity ("Gain control") on the amplifier to match the signal being input to the amplifier from the head unit. If you have the gain control adjusted to get full power out of the amplifier, weather you are running a 2V or an 8V out head unit, it's going to be just as loud. 2V head units will have to use a higher gain setting, which may allow for more noise and in some poor quality amplifiers, some hiss.

If you use a head unit with 8V preouts on an amplifier that only accepts 4V in, you will be severly distorting the amplifier when you turn it up. I'd either use a line attenuator or get a better matched HU/Amplifier combination.
whoa cool thanks for explaining that to me.can u help me find out what kinda of HU i need for my amp?its a bx1500d.hifonics amp

http://www.maxxsonics.com/hifonics/amps_dclass.html thanks

oh whats a line attenuator?

Wrong.

Ok my deck puts out 8V. My amp only goes down to 6volts. However when i turn my gains all the way down i dont get any bass and according to you i should be getting severe distortion. When i turn it up to where i want it (around 4V) i am getting no audible distortion whatsoever. If i had an O-scope i would set my gains exact.

The THD of a HU is all the resitors, transistors, capacitors, chipsets....components of a HU. Each device adds its own distortion. So having a deck with a lower THD will produce a cleaner signal through the same RCAs and into the same amp than a deck with more THD.

If your refering to things like engine whine or distortion in the RCAs from running you power wire next to it then having a higher voltage should over come distortion better but you should really be attacking these problems at their source not with a bandaid. The actual signal at the point where it comes out of the deck is better with a lower THD.

THD is a marketing scheme, and a good one at that. The human ear cannot detect the difference between .01 and .1 of THD. Maybe on an RTA your system might look better, but having a line driver does help, especially with a potentiometer to adjust the voltage. As far as that 24/db per octive and stuff like that, you could write a book on why that stuff is better, just know that with that audio control piece, you will have much better equalization and Q control than any HU would give you. Bottom line, higher voltage is better //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif

THD is a marketing scheme, and a good one at that. The human ear cannot detect the difference between .01 and .1 of THD. Maybe on an RTA your system might look better, but having a line driver does help, especially with a potentiometer to adjust the voltage. As far as that 24/db per octive and stuff like that, you could write a book on why that stuff is better, just know that with that audio control piece, you will have much better equalization and Q control than any HU would give you. Bottom line, higher voltage is better //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif
ok thanks for all the help.me get higher voltage now

Yeah basically what you want to do is match the level output of your HU with the level input of the amp. This will provide the cleanest head room.

Now, as said earlier, the stronger the signal from the HU, the less the amp has to boost it, providing in theory a cleaner signal.

I am perfectly happy with my 4V outs from my Pioneer HU matched with my JBL and Alpine amps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

marleyskater420

5,000+ posts
Banned
marleyskater420
In the medium of life
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date