400x4 amp with 6x9s wire up?

Participant count
  • Participant list

RockyBalboa

CarAudio.com Recruit
Dallas
Can you folks look at this and tell me if this is the most efficient hook up I can achieve , with out overheating, or blowing up the speakers? I only have the two rear 6x9s hooked up the Taramps 400x4. The front dash speakers are not wired to amp . If I bridge the 6x9s will it be to much for them ?

The 6x9s are Alpine s-s69, Handles up to 85 watts RMS (260 watts peak power), Frequency response: 65-22,000 Hz, Sensitivity: 90 dB. The speakers are 4 ohm speakers

The amp specs are
Technical Specs:Number of Channels: 04
  • Maximum Power:
  • @ 13.8 VDC - 2 OHMS - 400 W RMS (4 x 100W RMS)
  • @ 13.8 VDC-4 OHMS - 252 W RMS (4 x 63W RMS)
  • Bridged @ 13.8 VDC - 4 OHMS - 400W RMS (2 x 200W RMS)
  • Input Sensitivity: 200mV (Vol=Max)
  • Signal to Noise Ratio: > 90dB
  • Frequency Response: (Full Range): 18Hz to 30kHz (-1dB)
  • High Pass Crossover (HPF): 90Hz (-12dB / 8th)
  • Low Pass Crossover (LPF): 90Hz (-12dB / 8th)
  • Input Impedance: 22K OHMS
  • Thermal Protection System and Short Output
  • Minimum Supply Voltage: 8 VDC
  • Maximum Supply Voltage: 16 VDC
  • Standby Power: 0.8 Amp.
  • Maximum Musical Power: @ 13.8VDC: 16.5 Amp.
  • Maximum Consumption in Sine Signal: (1kHz) 13.8VDC: 33 Amp.
  • Dimensions (WxDxH): 138 x 49 x 121mm

I have the 6x9s hooked up to channel one and two.

Attachments

• InkedScreenshot_2019-12-31 Manual TS 400X4 - Site cdr - Manual-TS-400X4-Site pdf_LI.jpg
    InkedScreenshot_2019-12-31 Manual TS 400X4 - Site cdr - Manual-TS-400X4-Site pdf_LI.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,194
Bridge it and adjust your gain properly. Or, get some decent dash speakers and wire them all to the amp. Daytons would probably be a good choice for your dash.

Bridge it and adjust your gain properly. Or, get some decent dash speakers and wire them all to the amp. Daytons would probably be a good choice for your dash.
My space is very limited in the dash , I ended up with some new kickers 3.5s(50watt RMS). The JBLs were to large to work in the dash. They hit the back of the gauge cluster and if I raised them up they would push the dash pad up to high. I think I am stuck with the kickers and also I believe the amp was to much for the cheap kickers, new. I kept getting some major clipping with the amp crossover set to high pass only and the gain turned all the way down. I wired the dash to the radio and used bass blockers and I am ok with the highs from them. Now I am looking for a little more low end

Last edited:
I run the same amplifier bridged to my front 6.5’s. You can do it if you have a multimeter and a basic understanding of how to set gains by voltage.

Also, with the 400x4 you have 2 gain controls. Try to match them as close as you can, so both speakers are getting the same wattage.

can you guy help me figure out these numbers a little better?

• Maximum Power:
  • @ 13.8 VDC - 2 OHMS - 400 W RMS (4 x 100W RMS) Its putting out 400x4 wired at 2 ohms. What if I use use 2 channels and not the 4 , am I getting 100x2?
  • @ 13.8 VDC-4 OHMS - 252 W RMS (4 x 63W RMS) Im lost on this one....Trying to deciefer the instructions , I believe its wiring 8 speakers that are 8ohms (parallel). 2 speakers per channel??
  • Bridged @ 13.8 VDC - 4 OHMS - 400W RMS (2 x 200W RMS) This one is clear to me, all 4 channels , bridge 2 channels and then bridge the other 2 channels to get 200wX2.

Last edited:
1) yes -- 100x2 IF you have a 2 ohm load on each channel. If you have just a 4 ohm speaker on each channel that would be 63x2. If you ran all 4 speakers on 2 ch with each pair wired parallel the amp would give you 100w per channel, or 50w per speaker.

2) No - That's simply the 4 ohm rating. It'll do 63w on each channel if they're running a 4 ohm load. This is not dependent on how the 4 ohm load is achieved -- whether it be two 8 ohm speakers parallel or two 2 ohm speakers in series -- the mfg cannot account for every possible speaker/wiring option -- they are simply telling you what it will do at 4 ohms.

3) yes.

I think the model number is confusing you. 400x4 is the model number.
With 4 ohm loads it does 63 watts per each of 4 channels.
With 2 ohm loads it does 100 watts per each of 4 channels.
Bridged at 4 ohms it does 200 watts per each of 2 channels.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.