3 Preouts for my hu...but why??

Participant count
  • Participant list

Big-Cat
10+ year member

Jupiter, FL
ok, i'm gonna be getting a system with in the next 3 weeks. I've got my subs picked out, my amp picked out, and everything accept for my hu. I'm getting 15's, and i figure it'll drown out the mids-highs and i'm gonna get some 6x9's later, when i get the money. But, i've been told by local places around here that i need a hu with 3 preouts. Isn't the preout for the speakers?? So i figured that if i only get 6x9's for my back, the subs then i'd be set, as far as an amp goes.... So why do i need the 3 preouts?? i mean...i want a deck with a mp3 player because it'll save a ton of money on CD's for me, and i also want the 3 preouts because i was told i need them by a lot of people. But if i can save like 100 or so bucks on the 3rd preout and just get 2, for my 6x9's and my subs...then wouldn't that work? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

-Big-Cat

No, preouts don't go to the speakers, they are signals that go to external amps. If you ever want to power your mids/ highs with an amp other than the one in your head unit then trust me it's a lot better to get a deck with 3 preouts. That makes it easy cause the front and rear chanels can still be faded and the 3rd set is non-fading for your sub amp.

yeah.. im running 3 amps with 2 preouts.. its a pain.. i recomend u get the 3 pouts... its save u hassle in the future

Chances are you're going to want all three sets of pre amps. One will probably be a NON-fade sub out which will be nice for the amp, it will allow for a more limited frequency range straight from the headunit, it also will not allow for signal fade and your amp won't have to work as hard. Also the it will be helpfull if you decide to go with an A/B class amp with no x-over. The other two will probably be adjustable for mid/high useage if you do indeed decide to add seperate amps for components. Head units usually will have a set number of preamps so you can't just add and remove how many sets you get with the headunit as to sway the price one way or another. So if the headunit you like has 3 pairs then you're going to get three pairs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Big-Cat

10+ year member
Big-Cat
Jupiter, FL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from