3 1/2s

desi_daru
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
just curious, ive seen some 3 1/2s that are like 20-25w rms

i was just wondering if u powered them off a hu with 20-25w rms would u b able to tell a diff (cleaner sound) with an amp pushing 20-25w? or does it come down to a watt is a watt??

It depends on the amp and h/u. Most likely, there will be little or no audible difference at a moderate volume level. At an extremely high volume level the amp would run much cleaner with less distortion.

I've blown out 2 sets of 3-1/2's with just head unit power, even the Kappa's that supposedly take 35 watts. It's the bass that kills them. Need bass-blockers on those little guys. An amp with adjustable hipass would let you get them as loud as possible without damaging them. I run mine with series resistors now to limit their power.

I also blew a pair a infinty kappa's just from headunit power.(kenwood headunit) but i loved the infinity's so i replaced them with the exact same pair but put in bass blockers(its not like ur gonna miss out on alot of bass from 3 1/2's) The pair i have now sound great, esp with the highs. U dont need an amp for 3 1/2's less u got some extra money.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

desi_daru

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
desi_daru
BC, Canada
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date