250amp breaker keeps popping but others dont?

plexlove

Senior VIP Member
missouri
Short story...runnin 4 nsv3 12s on 2 scv6000s @.5...have xscorpion 250amp breaker blocks. 1 per input of each amp so 4 total. Dual inputs into each.

When i crank it anytime when its doin over 60s 1 of the breakers pops on the slave amp...none of the others pop. The amps go into protect then but kick back on...they run fine until i turn it up again and go into protect (obviously from only gettin power to 1 input)

Just curious if anyones ever had this issue or has any idea whats causing it.

Only thing i can think is its a bad breaker...because theres no way im pulling over 250 amps to pop it..plus none of the others pop so its confusing the hell outta me.

Just to cover any questions...yes i have more than enough wire for the current...i am running 2 300 amp alts and have almost 1000ah in my battery bank. (i know i need another alt but then again im barely turnin it up 3/4 and gain is almost at 0.)

I also noticed after an 1.5hr drive yesterday with it runnin bout half volume the entire way...amps are in the bed of my truck on a sunny 80 degree day and the master amp was luke warm...barely, but the slave was still ice cold!

Never seen anything like this before.

Any ideas?

Short story...runnin 4 nsv3 12s on 2 scv6000s @.5...have xscorpion 250amp breaker blocks. 1 per input of each amp so 4 total. Dual inputs into each.When i crank it anytime when its doin over 60s 1 of the breakers pops on the slave amp...none of the others pop. The amps go into protect then but kick back on...they run fine until i turn it up again and go into protect (obviously from only gettin power to 1 input)

Just curious if anyones ever had this issue or has any idea whats causing it.

Only thing i can think is its a bad breaker...because theres no way im pulling over 250 amps to pop it..plus none of the other pop so its confusing the hell outta me.

Just to cover any questions...yes i have more than enough wire for the current...i am running 2 300 amp alts and have almost 1000ah in my battery bank. (i know i need another alt but then again im barely turnin it up 3/4 and gain is almost at 0.)

I also noticed after an 1.5hr drive yesterday with it runnin bout half volume the entire way...amps are in the bed of my truck on a sunny 80 degree day and the master amp was lule warm...barely, but the slave was still ice cold!

Never seen anything like this before.

Any ideas?

Both power runs going to the amp the same length? Maybe one is pulling more current because it's shorter?

Either way you doing 160db with 4 12s? I need video or build log or something. Pics?

Yeah roughly the same...about 1.5" difference not enough to matter.

And yeah lol without even bracing the box to the bed to help with rise nor screwing the top down completely it did a 161.7 @ 38hz. Still havnt been able to push them seeing as how my voltage drops too low at 3/4 volume. I can still get a lot more outta them..not even sweating a clean 164 when its all said and done...especially once i brace my roof and get a new windshield.

As far as vids and pics go...i dont EVER post anything. I dont do this to prove anything to anyone or compete. I do it for me.

If someone wants a demo and pay to get it mic'd and film it they are more than welcome. But im not gonna waste my time doing it.

Plus its pointless anyways...my 2 zv4 18s no one believed me i was doin a 159...so i posted the video at a shop mic'n it and did 159.2 and all i heard was shittalkers sayin it was faked somehow.

After that, i could really care less about people and their disbelief in some forum that im never on.

I come in here to give and recieve advice not showboat or try to make friends lil

Yeah roughly the same...about 1.5" difference not enough to matter.And yeah lol without even bracing the box to the bed to help with rise nor screwing the top down completely it did a 161.7 @ 38hz. Still havnt been able to push them seeing as how my voltage drops too low at 3/4 volume. I can still get a lot more outta them..not even sweating a clean 164 when its all said and done...especially once i brace my roof and get a new windshield.

As far as vids and pics go...i dont EVER post anything. I dont do this to prove anything to anyone or compete. I do it for me.

If someone wants a demo and pay to get it mic'd and film it they are more than welcome. But im not gonna waste my time doing it.

Plus its pointless anyways...my 2 zv4 18s no one believed me i was doin a 159...so i posted the video at a shop mic'n it and did 159.2 and all i heard was shittalkers sayin it was faked somehow.

After that, i could really care less about people and their disbelief in some forum that im never on.

I come in here to give and recieve advice not showboat or try to make friends lil

Your to far away for me to get a demo lol

And btw these arent some random 4 12s lol they ar nightshade...105lbs each and hands down the baddest subs ive ever seen in real life by far.

Numerous people have broke 60 with 12s...its not that hard to believe...if u got the power and know how to build a proper enclosure and build it CORRECTLY then 60s arent that difficult.

Ive seen numerous builds with 8 18s or equivalent that dont even break 60s...mostly because the enclosure isnt built right. People dont seem to understand the math that goes into a properly built enclosure.

Also im runnin them in a 2.5:1 4th...which makes a huge difference...or at least for me it does. (numbers wise, not moving air)

Yeah it ***** where i live..no competition...at all lol.

Best thing round here is a memphis build with 8 15s on 10k and it did something like 155ish lol

Most the people run fosgate p1,2, and 3s or kicker here.

Hell, just to tell u how bad it is i went to all 4 audio shops trying to find 0gauge terminals cuz i was 2 short and 2 of them said 0 gauge? We got 4! Like they never heard of it amd other 2 said they could order them but never have had an install needing 0 gauge...lol i have 16 runs. This place is a huge joke, cant wait to move

I see ur runnin nightshades as well so u should know what theyre capable of...but urs are walled i see.

When i had the zv4 18s..i originally walled them and was only doin a 154.5 after doin the 3.5:1 ratio 4th it got stupid loud...didnt move anywhere near as much air as the wall but the numbers blew my mind.

And for being in a 3.5:1 it they surprisingly picked up from mid 20s through mid 50hz clean but had a sharp drop off at about 57hz.

Well start trouble shooting. Swap the breaker that isn't popping with the one that is and see if the same one still pops.... Could be that one breaker is weaker then the other.

Yeah i figured that much but was just hoping someone might have a clue first.

Its gonna be a pia to swap out stuff because my amp rack, batts, wiring, etc is all in a small section at the tailgate of my truck so ill have to pull **** near everything to access it.

Gonna be a several hr job for what i imagine will be either a bad breaker or ground....i have 4 grounds per amp..2 off each are new but other 2 are existing from my last build and i got u der the truck and noticed there is some corrosion at the grounding point (my ******* used cca instead of ofc for my last build because they were out of it and i got impatient..big mistake) so im thinking that if the ground isnt food enough then that could cause it to pop.

I guess either way im gonna have to pull it all so yeah lol

Thanks for the advice though.

post pics of how the breakers are set up.

from the ones i used breakers ****

also after they have tripped a few times it time to replace them because they start tripping early.

and just to clarify, thats 4 250a breakers per amp? because you are probably drawing over 500A to each amp.

and runs sometimes do not share evenly especially the more runs you add.

if you have a dc clamp at all check the current in each run.

Well start trouble shooting. Swap the breaker that isn't popping with the one that is and see if the same one still pops.... Could be that one breaker is weaker then the other.
yep there is something in the wiring circuit that has to be checked,make sure you re-tighten your power wires to the slave amp,like Massive said, swap out the breakers, also swap subs from the master amp to the slave amp and vice versa and check your grounds.with those suggestions you should be able to solve the issue . good luck!

post pics of how the breakers are set up.from the ones i used breakers ****

also after they have tripped a few times it time to replace them because they start tripping early.

and just to clarify, thats 4 250a breakers per amp? because you are probably drawing over 500A to each amp.

and runs sometimes do not share evenly especially the more runs you add.

if you have a dc clamp at all check the current in each run.
Ohm`s law,voltage drops can be an issue if there is a decent wire length difference in the wires ,longer wires causes more resistance which limits the current.. especially if the difference is 20%+/-.

Id post pics but never can seem to on here..tried sellin some crap a while back and it turned into a big ***** fest since my pics wpuldnt upload lol and im not gonna waste time with photobucket or something like people suggested...have no clue how any of it wprks.

Anyways...i have 2 250amp breakers per amp...they say to use a 500 amp fuse per amp..so what i did is my batts have a bus bar going across. I have 2 runs of hot coming from the bar to each breaker and 2 runs coming from each breaker to the dual inputs on each terminal. Wasnt really necessary to do two run but i figured might as well just to squeeze every last drop of power lol

As far as voltage drop due to wire lengths...thats 100% not the issue. The runs from the bar to the breakers are 10" for the bottom amp on the rack and 14" for the top...the leads from the breaker to the amps are 8" for the top amp and 9" for the bottom. There wont be any significant voltage loss i that short of a run. It would be feasable with an 8ft run compared to a 17ft or something but a few inches of ofc wont matter.

Im also aware that running these amps full tilt at .5 especially once i bring down the box rise its safe to say ill be pulling more than 500 amps per amp. But as of now im not even turning my hu up 3/4 plus gain is set way low...the correct setting is almost 1/8 of a turn higher than i have it. Im just keeping it down until i get my other alt installed. I dont wanna be tempted to crank it before break in and also without proper elec....not worth possibly frying them due to low voltage since im running .5ohm.

Im gonna go ahead and pull em tomorrow though and do a swap and test it out...also am going to add 2 more grounds from the bus bar to my frame just to safe.

I have 14 250amp fuses and boxes so may just go ahead and swap for those.

I just liked the look of the breakers and the fact that i could easily kill the power if needed, but if they go out or have other issues ill just go back to fuses. Lol

And just wanna say thanks for all the advice...rarely does anyone actually give advice. Most everytime ive ever posted its just been non stop trash talk about anything and everything that has nothing to do with my question lol. So its refreshing to have you guys actually trying to help! Thats how the place should be. Thanks and ill update tomorrow with the results....and who knows, maybe ill get a hair up my *** after i get my new alt and belt in and post a vid lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.