2012 Dodge Ram Quad Cab budget build help

Participant count
  • Participant list

Nubster

Just got a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab. Love the truck but the stereo definitely lacks. The plan is to replace the entire thing. Start from scratch.

Budget is limited and I'll be buying things piece by piece.

I used to be into car audio many years ago so I am kinda familiar, but it's been so long ago that I don't remember a lot of stuff and many of the brands from back then are either gone or the quality isn't the same, and so many new players, I don't know what's what.

So the plan is, start with the HU. Double din, touch screen would be nice but not required. DVD, same thing, nice, but not required. I don't have steering wheel controls so that isn't an issue. I'd just like something solid with a couple RCA outputs and decent preamp voltage (is 2 volts enough?). Something along the line of the Kenwood DDX370 or similar. Trying to stay close to around $250ish.

After that, speakers. Front doors are 5 1/4 ", dash is 3 1/2", and rear doors are 6x9". Would I loose much sound and overall quality by no replacing the rear doors? Just run with the front speakers?

Subs...probably going with a single 10", maybe a 12". I have kids, so I need the rear seats and since there's no room behind them, I have to build/buy a box that fits under them. Probably looking at a Fox Acoustics box. Just not sure if a single sub will be enough. Thoughts? I'd just like to try and maintain one side for some under-seat storage but if the difference would be HUGE, I could give up that space for another sub. Plus, I figure one sub will cut down on the cost as well.

Amps, no idea. Either a 3 or 5 channel to run everything or one for speakers and one for the sub(s).

I know about wiring, so that will be done appropriately and deadening...not sure about that yet. I'll probably, like the stereo, do that in sections as money allows.

So, I'm really at a loss here as to brands and models. Again, price is huge so I'm trying to stay within a tight budget (thinking $1000 MAX) but I don't want to be buying stuff at Walmart...I'm looking for decent Sq with some bump, but no need to rattle fillings or flex windshields.

So if anyone can help, I'd be very appreciative. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
put your money in the front door 5.25's //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

CZ Series 5.25" 2 Way - Crescendo Audio | Online Store

CVL 5K Cadence 5 25" 2 Way Component Speakers Set New 812902003542 | eBay

New Boston Acoustics SX50 5 1 4 inch Component Speaker System Boston SX 50 090283354167 | eBay

for the price the cadence set it the best //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

New Precision Power PC 692 6x9" Car Audio Stereo Speakers Speaker Pair Warranty | eBay

T3 Audio T69C 6" x 9" Coaxial Speaker Pair | 269-096

the rear is not as important just for fill. the t3's would be perfect for the price. when you listen to music you want the sound in front of you not behind

Clarion VX401 6.2" In-Dash Double DIN Stereo w/ Bluetooth and USB

nice deal and comes with all installation parts and has built in Bluetooth which is nice.

Ordered the Kenwood DDX470 head unit. Still deciding on the rest. Looked in to the Candence stuff...looks pretty great and has awesome reviews. How about their amps? Any good?

For a box, a down firing center console box is great. It is what I run, two 10" subs seals works nice. As for the amps, you can build an amp rack behind the rear seat. It's a large enough area where you can mount a few decent sized amps. I'm also a fan of front doors and dash only. No need for the rear doors.

For a box, a down firing center console box is great. It is what I run, two 10" subs seals works nice. As for the amps, you can build an amp rack behind the rear seat. It's a large enough area where you can mount a few decent sized amps. I'm also a fan of front doors and dash only. No need for the rear doors.
What vehicle? I thought about that. There's certainly enough room for a good sized box between the front seats. I haven't really taken a good look at it yet. I'd like to see if I could build the box same dimensions as the center seat section and remount the flip up console or get a new nicer one from the junkyard to mount on top. I wouldn't think it would be too difficult.

Looks like I can get about 1.4^ft in place of the center console if I stay with the same dimensions as the actual console(seat part). I could almost double that if I make the box the size of the seat and flip down part. I'll definitely look into that option.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.