200w+ comps?

Buck
5,000+ posts

little alien on campus
i'm looking to try to find some 6.5 comps that will take 200 watts. idk if they make any quite that powerful but if they do please tell me what kind they are.

looking for pretty decent sq as well.

there is a budget, but not worried at this point, just trying to get some ideas.

thanks

most decent comp sets will be ok on an amp that does 200 per channel. once you get to a certain point the extra power just ends up being for headroom and dynamics.

Had diamond s600s and they sounded good, but I don't know if they could take 200 watts rms. I replaced those with hertz mlk's and they can definately take 200 watts rms and sound extremely good while taking that power. No comparison between the s600s and the mlk's. I never thought that the s600's had the mid bass it should and the tweeter was a little harsh to my liking.

i am not promoting the rsd's by saying this but just as an example. they are rated at 60 watts per side, and i had them running active with 100 watts per tweeter and 200 watts per mid without any issues and i beat them pretty hard at times. so you don't need to look for comps that have a rating of 200 watts or more.

Why do you need to feed them 200w apiece? You should be able to get plenty of output from them without having to overpower them. If anything, go active with a set of 8 ohm mids. You can feed them full power, and they are more efficient than 4 ohm mids, so you will get louder with less power.

My Pro60s (active) have been getting around 225w each to the mids and about 40w each to the tweets, and they've handled it very well. As soon as I get around to installing my new amps, they'll be getting 300w each to the mids and 75w each to the tweets. I'm confident they will handle that, too. They get loud and sound great. Not too pricey, either.

my cdt ef63's sounded great off of around 100 watts and got plenty loud. The boston pro 60's I currently have are getting around 200 watts and get stupid loud, but they sound like dick and I have to cross them high to get them to handle it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.