2-way or 3-way?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Midnyte

Hey all, just looking to get a new set of component speakers, and am unsure which would work out the best, 2 or 3 way. I know for sure I want a 6.5" set for my doors, and the other 2 (if I got a 3-way) will go in some kick panel pods. What set of speakers would you run, and any recommendations to that particular set for an amp would also be great. Also, are components always worth the extra buck, or are there some great 2 or 3 way coaxials out there? I'm lookin for some good deals :thumbsup .

EDIT: I'm also not really anywhere near a place that I'd be able to hear any speakers in person so I'll have to trust your opinions. So far the opinions have worked great for my elemental design subs //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif .

Well I think if you can afford the 3-way comps and have the places to put them then that would be your best bet, just as long as they were from a respectable company. Also components are worth the extra money as well. They use higher crossover slopes rather than 2 or 3 ways which makes them less likely to distort due to having the wrong frequencies sent to the drivers. Also components give you better imaging in having a seperate tweeter that you can position anywhere you like.

CDT Braxial speakers. They mount the tweeter on a bracket in front of the woofer for better imaging, but they are made with the normal components from the line they belong to, including the good crossovers. If you have money to burn, a 4" mid and a tweet combined with a 6" midbass on a dedicated amp channel has the potential to sound really good. More is not always better though. A lot will depend on the install of the components and the amount of time and energy spent getting the imaging and transition between speakers right. A 3-way has twice as many transitions to worry about and will take more to get just right.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Midnyte

Midnyte
Fillmore, UT
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
helotaxi