2 JL 12 W3v2 or 1 JL 12 W7

Do you currently have one or two 12w1's? What kind of box do you have them in?Theres Better subs for your money than the w3 and w7, Although JL makes very nice products. I know 2 people that have switched from 12w3v2 to Type-Rs and loved it. There are many other different brands too like RE. But if you want to stick with JL it depends how much money you have. The W7 can probably get louder with extra power but the two W3's are more efficient you have almost 2x the cone area. How much power do you have?

an upgrade from 1 w1v2 to a w7 is a very big one.

in fact it may be too big that it might not be worth it in the end.

go down to your local Tweeter and give both of them a listen. Of course the w7 will be very loud but I think two w3v2's will be loud enough for you.

In fact, I would consider one w6v2, it can have the loudness of two w3v2's and only need half the power of the w7 yet it will still have superior sq.

if you have the space and power for the W7, that will def give you more output. but you might not know what you are getting into if you are asking this.

For SPL I would go with the 2 W3v2 for one simple reason........12" cone compared 2 24"s of cone. More cone = more air pushed = more SPL. In my opinion, Jl is more of a SQ sub, not SPL. Although I just did 3 JL12W3v2's in my 94 Caprice w/ a Phoenix Gold Titanium 1200.1. After 3 kits of dynamat extreme, couldn't be happier. Just my 0.02.

I am not sure which amp i will purchase for my W7 if i decide to purchase it. It would definately be a mono alpine amp... the model i havent decided on yet. I have already have an enclosure for my 12w1V2 which i will used with the W7 if i decide to purchase it. By the way, i only have 1 12w1v2 sub in my truck now not 2. My question that i have is will the W7 fit in the enclosure that i currently have for my w1v2. Both the Jl w1v2 and the W7 that i would be getting are both 12'.

By the way... which alpine mono amp would you suggest i get to power the W7?

Thanks again for all of your help.

ipaqman

I am not sure which amp i will purchase for my W7 if i decide to purchase it. It would definately be a mono alpine amp... the model i havent decided on yet. I have already have an enclosure for my 12w1V2 which i will used with the W7 if i decide to purchase it. By the way, i only have 1 12w1v2 sub in my truck now not 2. My question that i have is will the W7 fit in the enclosure that i currently have for my w1v2. Both the Jl w1v2 and the W7 that i would be getting are both 12'.
By the way... which alpine mono amp would you suggest i get to power the W7?

Thanks again for all of your help.

ipaqman
Hold on here... you say your going to use the same box for the w7 as you did for your w1v2? You could do that but if you get a w7, you should try to get its full potential out of it and depending on the size of your w1v2, its not going to cut it.

And if you do get a w7, their is basically only one JL mono amp that should go with it and that is the 1000/1. The others put out too little wattage to please the w7 to its full potential.

You should probably get a High Quality 2 Channel amp for the W7 rather than an Alpine Mono amp. Mono amps put out the most power at 1or 2 ohms and the W7 is 3 ohms. A 500x2@2ohm two channel amp that will do 1000+ bridged at 4 ohms would be your best bet. A 1000x1 at 2 ohm alpine will only do about 700 at 3 ohms.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ipaqman

10+ year member
ipaqman
los angeles
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from