2 8'' vs 1 12''?

gb22
10+ year member

IN
I've recently been running a 12'' FI Q in a ported box tuned to 32hz, powered with an AQ1200.. I really liked the system, but really didn't think it produced the SPL i was looking for.

Now, my trunk is pretty small. The box for my Q was 2.5^3 and barely fit. I am going to be purchasing my next sub/subs soon but can't decide on what I want.

I will be doing the Big 3 to help my electrical. I have a new BRZ 1700.1 that ill use for power.

Ive been considering ordering 2 SA-8 V2 D2, wiring them to 2 ohm(1200w), and putting them in a ported box tuned to 32hz. Ive never heard nor ran 8 inch subs, so how would their spl output compare to a single 12?

My other options include a single 10 or single 12, probably SSA. I want a good mix of great low end power, SQ and SPL

Last edited by a moderator:
Really depends on the install, but the 12 has more cone area, and the fi-q's got fairly loud.

I would go perhaps 2 -10's if you are looking to downsize but perhaps go sealed to save space.

On a side note i would bet the 12 fi-q would be significantly louder

If you say you're ordering the D4's then they wire down to 1 ohm not 2 ohms. Anyways though, the output should be pretty close. If you are strapped for space, I guess 2 8's aren't a bad option. If you're really wanting more output, I suggest 2 10's.

If you say you're ordering the D4's then they wire down to 1 ohm not 2 ohms. Anyways though, the output should be pretty close. If you are strapped for space, I guess 2 8's aren't a bad option. If you're really wanting more output, I suggest 2 10's.
Im just not sure if I could even fit 2 10's in a ported box back there though lol. If it was sealed, yes, but ive never ran sealed before

Yeah, everybody has already said it. The 12 has a little more cone area but I would say they are within 1or2 db of each other. Now heres something no one has recommended yet, so I'll be the first. How about 3 8's dual 2ohm series to 4 ohm each and parallel down to 1.33ohm at the amp. More cone area than the 12 and still smaller enclosure.

Yeah, everybody has already said it. The 12 has a little more cone area but I would say they are within 1or2 db of each other. Now heres something no one has recommended yet, so I'll be the first. How about 3 8's dual 2ohm series to 4 ohm each and parallel down to 1.33ohm at the amp. More cone area than the 12 and still smaller enclosure.
i've have 3 8s a few times, very surprising how well they sound. done 4 8 a few times too. i have to with anthony on this one and go with 3 8s or even 4 8s.

Thats interesting.. hadnt considered doing 3 but sounds like a good idea. That would give them their rms500w apiece too

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

gb22

10+ year member
gb22
IN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from