2-8"s ported or 2-10"s sealed

Participant count
  • Participant list

jstaguy24
10+ year member

I have roughly 1.5 cubic feet to work with in a downfire console box. can be no bigger then 10's due to limited width. what would be the best for sq and output. 2-8" subs ported or 2-10" subs sealed. assuming they are same power and sub. (except for size of course) I have never ran 8's. have had many sets of 10's.

What's your budget? Do you have an existing amp? If so, what is the RMS rating? If not, what amp are you considering or have you not chosen yet as waiting for sub recommendations.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's your budget? Do you have an existing amp? If so, what is the RMS rating? If not, what amp are you considering or have you not chosen yet as waiting for sub recommendations.
I have an audiopipe ap1800.1 amp. I am running it on 2-15's. I really am looking to downsize and lose the 8 cubic foot box. But still want enough output. I did try a single 12 ported in the console. Firing ports and sub at rear seat. It sounded excellent and output was plenty on heavier bass music, but I listen to primarily rock and was lacking with most rock.

Not sure how I managed to get this in the speaker section. Meant it to be in the subwoofer section

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done both, ported dd redline 608s, sealed re se 10d4s. The 8s were tuned to 30hrtz, they really got down, but because I tuned so low, the tens had a lil more output. The box for the 8s was about 1.6 net. With all the choices in 8s now, you could prob get the output you want with them ported.

I have seen many 8's calling for around .6 cubes ported as well. I may get away with 3 8's as well. Wire 3-4ohm 8's at 1.3 ohms on the amp
Go with 8's ported for sure. After running 15's, 10's in a sealed would be quite disappointing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.