1984 porsche 944 Transmision

Why would you offer any money for a car when you don't know what else is wrong with it ?
This isn't a Geo, man, it's a Porsche ... If it has other problems, this could very easily become a huge money pit ... If you're not willing to get it checked out, just walk away ...
Who said I didnt have anyone go with me? All that stuff in the thread.... was posted BEFORE I said I actually went there...

There is some rust under neither both doors (normal from salt) and tiny tears in the back of the seats. Other then that and a new clutch (and tranny of course) that was it.

my friend with the 944 bought it for 3500 then realized he needed to put about 2gs into it. After that it ran well and his radiator started to die two days before he got hit

id get it if its in good condition and maintain it well, but wont drive it in winter, keep it in ur garage...

eh..

id think bout it twice though cuz its a porsche...parts are rare and expensive...+ its old and u say there is rust cuz of salt(I assume he drove it in winter) ...

it all comes down to what u wanna do with it and personal choice/taste...

Well, to bad I couln't give this advice before... RIP vicodin

**** the porsche man. They are a royal pain in the ass to maintain. While yes, the 944 is going to outhandle most cars even today, holding higher speeds with more stability than even most 60K sports cars, the maintenence and the upkeep will kill you. And unless it's a turbo, it's not even going to be that fast.

It costs, every 10k miles, at least $2500 in maintenence alone. Turbo 944's cost upwards of $3500 every 10k. Timing belts, water pumps, adjustments, and probems with aging parts will plague you. If you have the money... DO IT. Driving them is pure ecstacy. They are a dream to drive.

But, RIP Vicodin.

id get it if its in good condition and maintain it well, but wont drive it in winter, keep it in ur garage...
eh..

id think bout it twice though cuz its a porsche...parts are rare and expensive...+ its old and u say there is rust cuz of salt(I assume he drove it in winter) ...

it all comes down to what u wanna do with it and personal choice/taste...
parts are neither very rare nor especially expensive. It's the mechanic to put them on and the maintenence intensive nature of them that make it difficult/ expensive.

Also, garage queen Porsches are also a bad idea. Sitting and not being run, seals dry up and boom! Leaks like an incontinent monkey.

If a porsche is mantained properly, they will last 250k miles or more.

IMO... don't buy a pre 86 944... They are old and shiddy looking inside. And if you get one, pay 5-7k for a well maintained example, and keep up with the maintenece (timing belts, seals, water pump, oil changes, and other things) and you will be happy.

LoudCrownVic speaks the truth.

When you hear Porsches are expensive, its not even so much the initial price that makes them costly, but also the intensive maintenance they require to stay on the road. My uncle's 911 would cost $250 in labor alone for an oil change, not to mention was the only car he's ever owned that he refused to do the oil change himself.

So I suppose just understand what you're really getting into...

IIRC, some other VW and Audi models share the same transaxle topology as the 944. IIRC, when my VW Quantum GL5 (5-cylinder) had gearbox problems (bearings), the mechanic suggested putting Porsche 944 syncrho disks into it, for durability.

If you look at the gearbox housings... other than the Audi and VW 5-cylinder gearboxes having bellhousings (they're in the front, while the 944 is in the rear), they certainly LOOK VERY SIMILAR...

However, I'm going on very old memories here... it'd be good to check with a good Porsche/Audi mechanic on this!!

Regards,

Gordon.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.