10's or 12's

antste384
10+ year member

okay i have 4 10s in a sealed box they are jl i am bias to them so do not tell me any other. my amps are 2 1000d memphis. i have a cousin who has 4 12 jl audio in a ported box with a memphis 1000d reference. i want to know can 10 hit harder than a 12. i know a 12 plays lower notes. i just want my system to hit harder than his which i think it does anyway. if anybody has any suggestions on what to do i would appreciate it. also could someone explain the difference between the studio class d memphis 1000d and the reference 1kd thanks.

Well for the amp question first. The studio has different insides than the PR series. The studio is a more expensive amp therefore it is more likely to put out 1000 watts at 1 ohm where as the PR will put out like 850-900 at 1 ohm. The one I bench tested anyway when I had it. You can make your 10's louder than his 12's by porting them and having a really really good install.

i want to know can 10 hit harder than a 12.
Given the proper enclosure, yes.
i know a 12 plays lower notes.
Not true. The 12 has the potential to play low notes a bit louder based on its larger cone area and ability to theoretically move more air, but a 10 will play just as low. In the case of some subs, the 10 has a lower Fs and can get lower easier than the 12 of the same series.
i just want my system to hit harder than his which i think it does anyway. if anybody has any suggestions on what to do i would appreciate it.
If loud is what you want then 1) Ported is going to be the way to go and tuning should be a bit higher than optimal for flattest response 2) JL subs are not the loudest subs out there by a long stretch. For low power applications, they work really well and can sound really good. I know you like them, and I use them and really like them, also, but they are not SPL subs by any means.
If you are determined to keep the JLs (you do already have them after all) build a good sized ported enclosure for them and let 'em wail. You will probably lose a bit of the impact that the sealed enclosure gives you but you will get more output.

hey i have two 10 inch HE2's and my friend has two 12 inch JL W3v2. And mine hit a lot hader than his. I had my dude that works at "The priemer car audio store" in my neighborhood install it. And man did they. My subs are as clean as the JL's and hit harder, my friend has to turn his shoit on loudness to even come close he was soo pissed. just thought i would let u know.

The ported enclosure is MOST always louder than sealed. I did have 4 orion XTR 10's with 1600 watts on all 4 hit a 148.9 in in 2000 mustang db drag (old meters) That was plenty loud for me and louder than most 12's and also played lower for some reason.?!.?

hahahaha just cause i have a 1000 watt amp doesnt mean i'm using all that power. my subs rms and peak at higher wattage than the jl so yess i am running more power. But i thought we were talking about 10's and 12's. The alpine pushes the jl pretty good they just arent loud.

just b/c your speakers take more power doesnt mean they will sound better. i like those punch though i am thinking about getting some for my other car. how many watts does yours handle and how much did you pay for them. how many watts does your jl amp really put out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

antste384

10+ year member
antste384
nashville, tn
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from