04 cavalier head unit/ battery issues

Participant count
  • Participant list

Kentry

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Ls Sedan. I at one time had put in a system with two orion 10" subs and jenson amp, pioneer head unit, and replaced the factory speakers with pioneer speakers of the same size. I eventually got tired of not having trunk space and took out the subs, amp, and just left the deck. Well then i wanted the new deck with the aux port on the face plate so i replaced it with another pioneer deck. I just used the same wiring cause it was another pioneer and the harness matched the one that came with the new deck. Since I did that I've had battery issues. I would come home from work around 10pm and at 7am it was dead. However it wasn't day after day...more random. One battery did have a bad cell...but it was still doing it after i got a new battery. I ended up buying the $80 harness to get the chime block thing. My thought was that i was maybe leaving lights on but it kept dieing after that was installed too. It finally died on the 30th of November. I ripped it out and left it out and haven't had a dead batter since( almost a month now) . During the troubled period I had the battery, Alternator, and starter checked twice, at two different places. Both times all 3 passed with flying colors. It makes me think the radio is the issue somewhere. I can tell you the first harness for the cavalier came with and extra long red wire that said in the instructions was to be stuck in with a fuse that gets shut off when the car gets shut off, or else it would stay on. The $80 harness did not come with such a wire. Now I'm wondering if my wires are wired wrong, or if that red wire shouldn't be there..or what. Also I've worked on this thing at least 10 times...and never have i disconnected the battery while doing so....could the radio just be screwed and staying on? I know the display has shut off every time i turn the car off like its suppose to, so im just out of ideas...

just wondering if anyone has any info on where I could see a finished example of what my harness should look like or a color matching code for the harness connections......or if anyone has any advice on what I should do.

I start a new job monday and would like a radio to use on my way in...but i cant afford for it to kill my battery and cause me to be late during the first few weeks.

I would think every deck has a different harness. But i dont know much.

I kinda had a battery problem too. Every now and then my car will like stutter to start(i also have a 2004 chevy cavalier, not the sedan though.) Not sure if this is because of my stereo, or because its cold in the mornings. I didnt buy a wiring harness so dont know about the extra red wire you were supposed to get.

If you are certain about keeping this deck, then you could just splice the wires together. Yes it's messier but cheaper. if wired right, no problems.

This site helped me when i was wiring, i didnt get a harness i just spliced.

http://www.modifiedlife.com/2004-chevrolet-cavalier-car-audio-wiring-diagram/

Hope this helps!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.