'02 Mercury Sable 6.5"s in front doors

Participant count
  • Participant list

Lowkey
10+ year member

So the Sable has 6X8s all the way around and I want 6.5s.

I can get a good price on these: Infinity Reference 6032cf 6-3/4" 2-way car speakers — also fit 6-1/2" openings at Crutchfield.com but I'm wondering how much modification would be needed to make them fit?

I can make or buy a bracket that goes from 6X8 to 6.5 and I don't think clearance would be an issue in the back deck but I'm worried about the doors.

Will they fit with bought/made brackets alone? Open to suggestions.. Thanks

So the Sable has 6X8s all the way around and I want 6.5s.
I can get a good price on these: Infinity Reference 6032cf 6-3/4" 2-way car speakers — also fit 6-1/2" openings at Crutchfield.com but I'm wondering how much modification would be needed to make them fit?

I can make or buy a bracket that goes from 6X8 to 6.5 and I don't think clearance would be an issue in the back deck but I'm worried about the doors.

Will they fit with bought/made brackets alone? Open to suggestions.. Thanks

1. I think it's better to get a component speaker instead of coaxial. The Sable (at least more up level version) came with tweeter pods in the door sails. If you don't have them, hit the junk yard.

2. The mounting depth is about 2.5 inches with the windows rolled down. I took this measurement in a g3 car, and the g3 Sable/Taurus should be pretty much the same. You can fit 2.75 inch speaker with a spacer bracket. You can also go deeper than that, buy you should check if there is enough clearance behind the plastic door panel for that.

Awesome replies thanks. I'm running on deck power (Alpine cda117) so comps might not be the best idea right now. As I see it whether I get comps in the future or not at least the factory paper garbage will be gone.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Lowkey

10+ year member
Lowkey
Lincoln, Nebraska
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from