Wow I almost got scammed...

Matt-AO
10+ year member

switches get *****es
dover de.
Taken from newspaper:

TR-1420 THEATRE RESEARCH 400W TOWER SPEAKERS, new in box, $100 pair. (302)492-****

So im thinking geez these are like 4 g's a pair.... but before i went to go buy them i googled it and found this:

From ScamShield.com:

Product or Service Involved: Theater Research TR-1420 Speakers

After work, I was pulling into the Weis supermarket to pick up some food for dinner. As I parked, I noticed a white van with lettering on the side, though I can't recall the exact company name, it was obviously some sort of electronics establishment. There were three guys in the van, probably in their mid-20s. The driver, who got my attention asked me if I was into "stereo systems, speakers, etc." So I replied, "Yeah, who isn't?" Well begand explaining his situation... you know the whole, "they loaded an extra set of these sweet speakers in here, we are distributors, yada yada yada, here, let me show you what i am talking about". So he parks, gets out, and opens the side door. The other guys remained in the van, and I must say, they looked sketchy and nervous. He showed me the authentic looking brochure, told me they were $2200 a piece, and that whole thing. Well, I have nowhere near that kind of cash, so i told him, "wow, cool, but no thanks, no way can i come close to that". He proceeds to say, "well, i don't expect you to have that kind of money of course, but how about like $600?". I told him that was way too high, I don't have that kind of money. Then he gets to the whole, "how much can you do, cause anything for me is better than nothing". At this point, i figured, "what the hell", and offered 100 bucks. He responded by asking, "****, is that all you can do, are you sure you couldn't come up with 200?" At this point, i figured, as most have, well, hell, even if they aren't really 2000 a piece, 200 is still a good deal. So i said ok, he did the follow me to the mac machine thing, squeezed an x-tra 40 bucks out of me for "beer and ***** bars", and shook my hand and said, "man you're gonna be jammin tonite!". As happened to many, I was totally excited, until I started looking this stuff up on the internet. Man, I was scammed, suckered, whatever you call it. But I see may others lost lots more.

That being said, let's talk about the speakers. They really don't seem to be the complete crap that some make them out to be. THey look nice, I hooked em up to my Yamaha receiver, and am using them now with my boston acoustic bookshelf speakers. The bottom end is pretty good, and the overall sound isn't bad. Not 2000 worth though. I could easily see these things selling in some kind of electronics show of sorts for 200 for the pair or something. And they sound better than boombox speakers, or some really really cheap stereo shelf system from Walmart. Hey, I feel ripped, but I am being realistic about the quality. We'll see how long they last though, huh?

These guys are REALLY good at what they do, they have it down to a SCIENCE. Someday they will screw the wrong person though, and will meet an unpleasant consequence I am certain. But in the end, it was MY greed that mad me spend the money. OF course I thought I was getting "hot" items, stolen either off of a truck, or a warehouse, and i figured, "well for 200 bucks, what the hell?".... I consider it a lesson learned...or well, a leasson reviewed and updated... I should have learned many years ago after buying a sheet of LSD from a random stranger and having it turn out to be nothing but paper. If the deal looks too good to be true, especially if the circumstances surrounding it are sketchy to begin with, steer clear, save your money and go buy something you actually shop for.

And theres a ton more:

http://www.scamshield.com

So if your in the North East i'd watch out!!!!

Matt

they also sell as audiopile or some isht like that too. I SAW some at a pawn shop, what looked like nice kevlar drivers, etc. THEN went home and did some reading and found what you found....WOW. I went back to the pawn shop and had the guy open up the back plate and show me the crossover. It was a total POS.

Those scammers prey on impulse buyers.

woah thats long... dont feel like reading it all right now but sorry that ***** man good thing you didnt

my dad bought a set called "acoustic lab technology" in the same type of situation as you. he figured they were stolen or something. he only paid $100 though. they sound pretty decent and they have been working for several years now so dont feel too bad about your purchase.

so the thread should be "I got scammed" not "I almost got scammed"... right?
my dad bought a set called "acoustic lab technology" in the same type of situation as you. he figured they were stolen or something. he only paid $100 though. they sound pretty decent and they have been working for several years now so dont feel too bad about your purchase.

No you guys art reading it right... I didnt get scammed.... I almost got scammed till i found that story in scamshield.... I was going to by the ones out of the paper...

Matt

you only get scammed if u get something u don't expect or something that isn't worth what u pay. u pay little, you get little regardless of what it's "worth". i have heard these pos before and they sound like 100 dollar speakers just like they are sold for.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.