wich US Amp

406er
10+ year member

box builder extraordinair
Winnipeg,Mb
well at my new 2nd job we carry RE and US amp among other brands. i plan on gettin a 15" SX and a US amp to power it. now, as price realy isnt a huge concern, i dont know wich to get. NOW despite the Xterminator is maid OFF SHORE, i still would use it. im basing my the purcess of my new amp on how they match my curant amp,(i know its ALL wrong but, both have what im looking for as well as power i need). my curant amp is a STEG audio system F4380 for my fronts and mid bass. it has a black heatsink and a stainless outter case

outside1.jpg

heres the options. Xterminator XT2000D OR Merlin MD.2D

outside1.jpg

outside1.jpg

both amps put out 1200watt at 1ohm
The XT2000D does 800x1 at 1 ohm and the MD2D does 1800x1 at 1 ohm (according to my manual, the box says 1521 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif). The XT4000D and the MD1 both do 1200x1 into 1 ohm.

To answer your question though...I personally own both a Merlin and XT series amp and would hands down take the Merlin over the XT line. The XT2000D will be a great amp for you but the Merlin is engineered and built stronger.

Also, if you are dropping something like the MD2 into your car figure on spending ~$500 to upgrade your electrical system. 1/0 wire, HO alternator and a/multiple deep cell batteries will be needed.

lol thats actuallya pic of a xt1600.2 i knwo thats my bed sheets ( iknow u just lookng at the heatsink its the same) hehe...

back to the question ide go with the merlin hands down as stated above its the better choice

acording to US site, the xterm 2000D puts out 1200 watt at 1ohm.

why do ya think ill need multiple batterys if i run the merlin?

the head installer at my shop has a MD2D and a MD42. big 3, stock alt and yellow top. with no problems

acording to US site, the xterm 2000D puts out 1200 watt at 1ohm.
You are right, I quoted the numbers off the SSA forum because I hate the US Amps site.

the head installer at my shop has a MD2D and a MD42. big 3, stock alt and yellow top. with no problems
This could be true if he never cranked it. You aren't going to be able to run a solid 1800 watts RMS though with the ^^^ without major voltage drops. But that's getting off topic. Good luck with your install!

pffft, just got my cost on the Xterm 2000D and a 800.2, id be more then stupid if i didnt buy both of them, now what do i do with my curant amp

This could be true if he never cranked it. You aren't going to be able to run a solid 1800 watts RMS though with the ^^^ without major voltage drops. But that's getting off topic. Good luck with your install!
It won't put out that much power with music. That's the reason that a lot of people can have these really big systems with minimal upgrade, they listen to real music at a reasonable level and have a lot of headroom in the system.

with an md2 just dont bump the gains on a stock lectrical system, but for sure get a good battery. ive got an AXTU300C on a AX2000 on an 65a stock alt and an odyssey battery, everythings fine and dandy, no dimmage but im keeping the 2000's gains really low.

merlin over xterminator...i have the ax1000...love it
obviously, i mean the Xterm is there entry level gear and the AX is the top end gear. i was just compairing the looks to my existing amp. but given the cost of both amps im just gonna buy matching Xterms

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.