Who here is a fan of sealed boxes?

I gave my coworker a sealed box for a pair of 12" cvx's. They actually sound pretty good sealed...give it a try //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If you like sealed think about infinite baffle if possible. No box, just a baffle and you can use far less power to achieve similar output levels. I was amazed at how low my w12gtis got once I went IB.

Sealed can be great if you have enough power on tap and understand how to use eq to ramp up the power at the lower frequencies (similar to a linkwitz transform).

I loved sealed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I can't speak to the CVX as to whether they like sealed or ported, but most subs have a preference of the two and if ported it gets more complicated based on the speaker. It could be that you have a ported box that's not tuned correctly for the sub, which would make any sub sound like crap.
To evaluate your current setup, what frequency is your current ported box tuned to? I'm sure others are running similar subs and can give you feedback.

If you're looking to potentially replace your subs and debating sealed vs. ported, there may be a whole new thread needed to discuss your options after you read up on the differences.
^^^^ Good guy there and that post is dead on!!!!

I've built tons and tons of high end sealed and ported enclosures. And to tell you the truth, a well design and built sealed enclosure can get just as loud (to the ear) as most ported enclosures! Just make sure the sealed enclosure has the right amount of airspace, it's sealed up well and the sub has plenty of power pushing it and you'd be satisfied! Of course on a meter, the well designed/built ported enclosure would prevail in output but still!

Also, I would 100% ALWAYS used a well designed/built sealed enclosure over ANY prefabbed ported enclosure!!! Prefabbed ported enclosures aren't tuned correctly (and usually are NOT tuned to what they say they are), don't have nearly enough airspace for most mid to high end subs, and the port area usually isn't enough for most good subs. On top of that, they aren't all that solid. Those factors usually lead to the prefabbed ported enclosure sounding like poo but just loud.

When I do ported enclosures for customers and myself, I always tune as low as I can with the sub (unless the customer wants otherwise of course) and with a low tuning, you'd be HARD pressed to tell a difference between the SQ of it and a sealed enclosure! It's ALL in the design and build/install! The equipement has something to do with it but usually isn't going to cause a night and day difference! Trust me on that!

LMK if you have any other questions!

V.

I am thinking about going sealed for my 15 inch SSD. Do you think it will still get louder then my old 12 inch CVR in a ported box? How much less output do you get in a sealed box

I am thinking about going sealed for my 15 inch SSD. Do you think it will still get louder then my old 12 inch CVR in a ported box? How much less output do you get in a sealed box
The "general rule" is with the same sub, same power, vehicle, etc all the same and just switching from sealed to ported, there's a 3 db gain (or loss if going from ported to sealed). But that's by no means ALWAYS accurate! It depends on the ported enclosure really......such as airspace, tuning, etc.

But in your case, that SSD should def. outdo that CVR, def. in the lower octaves! SPL wise, depends on what the ported enclosure was tuned to!

V.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.