What's happening in the SQL world these days?

n01d3x

I haven't had subs in my car since 2005. I was all about SPL back then, ran 4k watts, huge ported boxes etc. Times have changed and so have I. I am looking for great sound quality but still hit descent. I don't want to to run huge mono blocks or anything, maybe in the 1000 watt range. Haven't decided between 10" or 12" or 1 or 2 subs. I will build a box to fit the subs, but they will be going in the trunk of an '08 corolla so I wont have a ton of space to play with. I'd like to be around $500 for the subs, but could go higher if it was worth it. I know everyone has their favs, I'm just looking for a place to start my research.

IA flatlyne is the first place I would start your search. The best SQ sub I have listened to in quite some time with the ability to get some output. AA havoc, tc axis, ssa xcon are also others I would look at. The flatlyne is most efficient compared to the others followed by the axis.

I'm just getting back in after a while also but I'd recommend looking at soundqubed's woofer bundle. That was what I was going to get but is backordered for a couple weeks and I got impatient and ordered one of their hdc3's.

my wife has a 06 corolla s. and if the trunk is the same i have a near 6 cuft box plan i can send u. it goes in with a little elbow grease but it will go in with out pulling anything off. would be perfect for 3 10's, 2 12's, or a nice 15. if it was me I'd do a single 15. 1500rms range tantric hd, ssa icon or xcon, aa havocs, .fi bl or q,sundown x, ......etc....etc. any of those and im sure i missed some.

Thanks for the replies, I will look into the subs listed. I don't think I want a 15", I feel that would be too much for what I am looking for. My last 2 setups were, 2 15" Elemental Designs and then 2 15" RE XXX's. I do not want to get anywhere near that any more. Just something to sound good in the car, I don't want to get all crazy with it it any more.

I'm liking the ssa xcon, T-Line enclosure scares me lol. I've never even heard of those. Last I remember sealed was the way to go for SQ. Seems like the t-lines have to be huge, I'm not sure I would have the room. I remember using a calculator online that gave me my ported box designs I used to build. Is there anything similar around for a t-line? What are the advantages of a t-line over a sealed or ported box?

I'm liking the ssa xcon, T-Line enclosure scares me lol. I've never even heard of those. Last I remember sealed was the way to go for SQ. Seems like the t-lines have to be huge, I'm not sure I would have the room. I remember using a calculator online that gave me my ported box designs I used to build. Is there anything similar around for a t-line? What are the advantages of a t-line over a sealed or ported box?
T lines can play flat over more bandwidth, and higher out put than basic ported but they are much larger. I doubt you could fit more than 8 t line. A lot of people are using ported for SQ but they are backing up the 50hz range with up front mid bass.

With the Xcon, you can go sealed, ported or t-line or 4th order from their EBP. They have aluminium shorting rings so upper end bass extension is no problem. A proper ported box would perform a lot better then a sealed if you are only using 1000 watts on an Xcon, lower bass extension and more efficient.

T-lines are stupid efficient, meaning you only need to throw a fraction of the sub's rated rms to get great output out of it. Transients are nice and very flat all around, great for any music. Pretty much a like sealed enclosure on Steroids a lot better SQ then your typical sealed box with output in between a sealed and a ported box. However, dont think that this is a magical box, because some subs do not like T-lines, everything depends on underlying variables of every situation.

Whatever sub you get, make sure you get a good box designer like http://pwkdesigns.com/ pay for the cutout sheet and you wont regret it. A proper enclosure makes the biggest difference in SQL oriented systems.

I had a 03 corolla before and it can fit 6 cubic feet in there no trunk space after that though.

If you are concerned about trunk space, lazy and want the fastest build possible, you can do 2, c2 threatcon 12s in a sealed box and they will serve you well also very close to JL w6s in sound signature throw at least 1.5k-2k rms at them and do some electrical upgrades.

I am really liking the SSA Xcon suggestions. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif I wish I had more experience with Transmission Lines to help out. I would suggest just a standard ported enclosure, leaning towards the larger side of our suggested enclosures and tune around 29hz. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

For the money PSI Platform 2 HP $350

If not the xcon $430-450..but price will lock you down to one if ur budget is around 500

SQL then Incriminator audio all day every day.. Death row or lethal injection

Ascendant audio havoc...but price again

B2 audio if you get your hands on them. Got their 6.5 components and they scream quality, build and sound quality that is. So I'd expect their sub's to perform outstanding. Check YouTube

Um those are the best that come to mind. Unless u got bank I'd name some more

Guys im new to the site, but as far as SQ sub. The JBL GTI series subs would have to be at the top of the list. This sub is widely used in the car audio sq comp. contest but are also used in recording studio production. I have a w10GTI-MKii sub and it is the cleanest, controlled sub I have ever heard. It is so over-engineered its crazy. 600 RMS my ***, this thing can take 1200+ RMS and roll without loosing its ****. Best sub I have ever heard, 25 years in the business.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.