What subs to go with?

Participant count
  • Participant list

silveradokid
10+ year member

The Hope that lies WITHIN
To make things a little more simple. I'm buying two 12" subs and an amp to put under the back seat of my truck, an extended cab Silverado. I'm building the box myself and each chamber will be about 1.25cu.ft. I was planning on putting CVR's in but did some research and now am leaning toward the type r's or the JL w3's. What are the differences between these subs? In general, which ones will hit harder and last longer in the enclosure I'll have? I like SQ but also like a little SPL as well.

Onto the amp, If i was to go with type r's what kind of amp should I get? If I was going with CVR's what amp should I get? And If I went with JL's what amp should I get?

I will be running 4 gauge wire to the amp.

Last edited by a moderator:
well how much power do you want to be running? whats your budget for all of the other stuff?

their is more to systems other than subs and amps you have your electrical to deal with also.

what are you looking for out of your subs? Sound quality or just to be heard down the block.

Oh, did you have an alarm on your truck? If not, I would get one before I invest in another system. Once you answer some of the questions from the post above we can better help you. Keep in mind that a good electrical system is key. Also, enclosure quality is a make or break.

Well I'm going to be building the box myself, so the cost of that doesn't matter as much. And as far as the amps I'm not looking to spend more that $200, I'm pretty sure I can find a used amp that works good for under $200. I'm just not sure what type of amp to get as far as RMS, WATTS, and channels go. As far as power goes, I'm not sure what you mean, I have 4-guage wires running to the amps for power, I will have to rewire a lot of things as well being that whoever stole my stuff cut everything so a lot of it is too short now. I realize that there is more to the bass than just the subs, but with a box underneath the backseat in my truck which I think can fit about 1.25cuft per chamber, what sub and amp combo would be good. I'm asking for the brand of amp, just what type(twochannel, mono, wattts, etc.) I'm looking for more SQ but it would be nice to have some SPL in there too.

Oh, did you have an alarm on your truck? If not, I would get one before I invest in another system. Once you answer some of the questions from the post above we can better help you. Keep in mind that a good electrical system is key. Also, enclosure quality is a make or break.
Yes I have a viper 5900 security system, had it before they stole my stuff. The police officer I talked to said that nobody cares about alarms anymore.

I'd go with FI, SSA, Sundown, or Skar. I don't have any experiences with them but everyone raves about them so they have to be good.
Sundown's are too expensive for me, I'm looking under the $150 price range, and I'm not looking for the loudest subs

I'd go with FI, SSA, Sundown, or Skar. I don't have any experiences with them but everyone raves about them so they have to be good.
not so grasshopper, logical fallacy, bandwagon or hasty/sweeping generalization, I forget.. but most on here are newbs, like me, who just repeat what they have heard haha so those companies could ultimately ****, whether or not everyone 'raves' about them.. but I doubt it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.