What sub is a decent upgrade from an Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1D?

Is the new Infinity Kappa 100.9W any good? It looks like an evolution of the Kappa Perfect.
I don't understand why the new Infinity Kappa subwoofers are no longer popular. People migrating from the older Kappa Perfects should check out the current Kappa 120.9w and 100.9w subs. I have an Infinity Kappa 120.9w running in 1cu ft sealed box right now. It's a very tight subwoofer with a good SPL capability. The 120.9w has good qtc in a reasonable size sealed box, good sensitivity, low inductance, and 17mm xmax. I suspect that the 350watt RMS power handling is an understatement. For the price of $130-140 that these are usually sold online, they're a good bargain.

Having said this, I would recommend the OP also to check out the new 2012 Alpine Type-S subwoofer. An Alpine engineer was posting on DIYMA that this is supposed to be a good SQ subwoofer, with the new Type-R being more of a SQL subwoofer.

I was looking at this one all morning. I'm really tempted to pick one up at some point to compare. Is this the joint effort between JBL/Infinity? Or was that something entirely different?
not sure. im sure it may sound a bit better than what you have, but they have their limits. with their auto selectable impedance, the coils a little heavier, requires a little more juice. but apparently they have a crisp sound. in the box you have i wouldnt give it more than 700 watts period.

youll have to just play with it to see what you can safely give it. luckily its pretty efficient.

I don't understand why the new Infinity Kappa subwoofers are no longer popular. People migrating from the older Kappa Perfects should check out the current Kappa 120.9w and 100.9w subs. I have an Infinity Kappa 120.9w running in 1cu ft sealed box right now. It's a very tight subwoofer with a good SPL capability. The 120.9w has good qtc in a reasonable size sealed box, good sensitivity, low inductance, and 17mm xmax. I suspect that the 350watt RMS power handling is an understatement. For the price of $130-140 that these are usually sold online, they're a good bargain.
Having said this, I would recommend the OP also to check out the new 2012 Alpine Type-S subwoofer. An Alpine engineer was posting on DIYMA that this is supposed to be a good SQ subwoofer, with the new Type-R being more of a SQL subwoofer.
Yeah I'm curious about those type s too. Underhung coil and a. What 600rms rating? Feel they'll sound good

I need to look into those.. Part of me wants to just **** it up and get an XCON and call it a day, but thats not realistic. With the VVX I find I need to upgrade my front stage in a bad way, with the Infinity it melted into the factory system seamlessly.

Thats funny you mention that. One of my buddies has a spare SAZ1500D that he's letting me play with for awhile. We just popped it in at lunch today (at work) so I'll play with that for the next few weeks to see if that changes my mind. The VVX needs to break in some more too. I know I want more power, I was over powering the Infinity by about 100watts, but under powering the VVX by as much. I'm either going to get an AQ1200, or this Sundown 1500. I can get an AQ cheaper, so we'll see. I might just **** it up and buy this 1500 from him.
I'll look into getting my Infinity fixed, I LOVE how it sounds, I'd really hate to throw it away, and they're so hard to find.
Depending what kind of deal you can get on that 1500 I would pick that any day over the AQ. The AQ's are nice but the sundown amps are of higher quality, and the fact that their 1500w amp is more like an 1800-2000w.

He wants $300 for it. The Skar really shines now, it's hard to breath maxed out. Very impressed with it now. Just wish it was more musical. I miss the crisp crack the infinity has.

...and you couldn't pry the pair of perfect 10's out of my cold dead azz crack either. love them, and always have. wanting to try out the vq's, but the older, the better. btw, if the o.p. checks in on the thread, i would be interested in the perfect 10 when it blows. anyone pit the new kappas against the perfects yet? anyone wanna buy me one, so i can?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.