What speakers to use with no amp?

Dudeman258

Hey folks, new here so hoping I can get some opinions.

I am looking to upgrade my speakers in my vehicle, and I do not want the weight or hassle or clutter of an amplifier.

Most decent component systems brag of 1million rms power handling.

Being unexperienced with speaker output vs. recommended or rms ratings, if I buy a speaker that is rated higher then the rms of my head unit's (eclipse CD3200) 50Wx4, will the speaker not be "efficient" at that lower rms power output?

If so, anyone have a decent suggestion for what I could invest in? I am on a limited budget, and word is that I don't need rear speakers with a decent component system. The front speaker size in my vehicle is 5.5, and I have limited room behind the speaker due to the window.

I listen to a huge variety of music. I used to have two 10inch subs in a very small sealed box that i was happy with, but i am old enough now its not worth it anymore. I would like these speakers to produce whatever low end is realistic (which I know is not much).

Thanks.

Dudeman

your head unit doesnt put out 50 rms. prob under 20. there is no substitution for amp power but if your trying to get dentcly loud comps off headunit power look for something with a high sensitivity. i suggest amping the comps tho

your head unit doesnt put out 50 rms. prob under 20. there is no substitution for amp power but if your trying to get dentcly loud comps off headunit power look for something with a high sensitivity. i suggest amping the comps tho
Great point I didn't even notice it says max power 50W...sorry for the mistake.

So basically if I do not use an amplifier there is no good option for me? I am not expecting outstanding sound, I am realistic in that 20+/- rms will not be able to put out a punch.

So where it stands, look for the highest sensitivity and disregard rms rating of the speaker.

Dudeman

Don't even consider a comp set W/O amping them. The honest answer is a cheap set of coaxials is the only way to go. Low end is not going to happen in any form without adding a sub. Bottom line, you're gonna be mad at whatever you end up doing sans amp. If you could start over with the limited budget, amping the factory speakers with the factory head unit would probably give you your best results. I've installed for years and see this scenario all the time. No one ever heeds my advice however, they just end up adding a sub later.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.