Want Better Sound from Toyota JBL Premium

moviefan

Hello everyone. I have a 2008 Highlander Hybrid and at first I was going to replace the head unit with a Rosen or a Chinese version. These are the only two made for my car as there's no trim kits available. But after thinking it over, I'd rather invest the money in better sound.

I have the JBL premium sound system and was wondering what I need to do to make my existing head unit sound as good as it possibly can. I read somewhere to replace the front dash speakers with 3-1/2" Infinity's (based on past experience with bookshelf speakers, I LOVE the Infinitiy brand). What about all the door speakers? Infinity? Replace the subwoofer too? Is the amp a stand-alone or is built into the head unit? If alone, should I replace that too? How would you prioritize what to get; if I couldn't afford it all at once?

I really miss the "crispness" and "fullness" of the HD radio sound I had in my 2012 Camry. If anyone can tell me how to get close to that sound without spending a ton of money, I would appreciate it! Thanks!

The toyota JBL system is an ultra low power system, designed to actually make the cars more efficient and up gas mileage. Toyota doesnt advertise it that way, but thats what the car review mags say. Thats why they never advertise RMS Power. It is nearly impossible to upgrade without an external amp because there are no commercially available aftermarket speakers that are as efficient as the stock speakers at very low RMS power. The best bet is the lowest RMS possible speakers you can find with the most sensitivity. The most bang for the buck is low RMS 3.5" speakers everywhere they can replace the mini speakers, without replacing the bigger speakers. That'll give you clarity without losing much bass. When you replace factory speakers with aftermarket speakers designed for higher power systems--as RMS goes up, the rest of the speakers will lose power. And you lose bass. The internet is full of fanboy brand hoes. They'll steer you wrong everytime if they get to drop a brandname or stat in a post online. If you choose speakers based brand names and stats on websites, instead of the lowest RMS power and highest sensitivity you can find, and you don't add a higher powered amp or head unit, you'll be sentencing yourself to life without the possibility of bass.

The toyota JBL system is an ultra low power system, designed to actually make the cars more efficient and up gas mileage. Toyota doesnt advertise it that way, but thats what the car review mags say. Thats why they never advertise RMS Power. It is nearly impossible to upgrade without an external amp because there are no commercially available aftermarket speakers that are as efficient as the stock speakers at very low RMS power. The best bet is the lowest RMS possible speakers you can find with the most sensitivity. The most bang for the buck is low RMS 3.5" speakers everywhere they can replace the mini speakers, without replacing the bigger speakers. That'll give you clarity without losing much bass. When you replace factory speakers with aftermarket speakers designed for higher power systems--as RMS goes up, the rest of the speakers will lose power. And you lose bass. The internet is full of fanboy brand hoes. They'll steer you wrong everytime if they get to drop a brandname or stat in a post online. If you choose speakers based brand names and stats on websites, instead of the lowest RMS power and highest sensitivity you can find, and you don't add a higher powered amp or head unit, you'll be sentencing yourself to life without the possibility of bass.

Bold is borderline misinformation not to mention how can a car stereo can a car more efficient? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif. Without knowing the impedance of stock speakers, the replacement speakers, and the amp config you can't make any certain claims about what will happen regarding the power sent to the other speakers. The internet is also full of people who think they know what they are talking about (myself included). OP you're going to have to wade through everything and hopefully find the posts that truly help you.

Really a ballpark budget is going to be necessary as well as how much work you're willing to do/have done. For example are you willing to drop money for a DSP (digital sound processor) and sound treatment on top of standard equipment such as speakers amps et or are you just looking to spend a tad bit of cash on drop in speakers? A ton of money means different things to different people. Some on here don't consider $500-$1000 a ton to spend on car audio.

Ok, whatever you say. The speakers are 4 ohms.

Any person claiming they put aftermarket speakers on a stock headunit that were rated higher than the stock speakers AND did not lose bass is 100% lying.

Without knowing anything other than the new speakers are aftermarket and higher RMS, you can guarantee lost bass throughout the whole system. Not just in the new speakers. Anyone who doesnt know this from experience has none.

You can't be serious in trying to say the load on the alternator does not reduce gas mileage. In a car with a sensor and modest system you are looking st at least 3MPG less with a lower powered AB amp on.

Like I said in the original post, no one has the self esteem that it takes to make a post stating get the lowest RMS speakers you can find. Except maybe me, the rest of the people that know this tell the customers that when they come for an install at best buy. Thats why you get the most and best reviews on the lowest RMS speakers on their website...........

You are giving the advice that you give to steer someone towards $500-1000 is not that much.

I call troll. 100%

The response is totally marketing material.

Ok, whatever you say. The speakers are 4 ohms. They even say it on them.
Any person claiming they put aftermarket speakers on a stock headunit that were rated higher than the stock speakers AND did not lose bass is 100% lying.

Without knowing anything other than the new speakers are aftermarket and higher RMS, you can guarantee lost bass throughout the whole system. Not just in the new speakers. Anyone who doesnt know this from experience has none.

Like I said in the original post, no one has the self esteem that it takes to make a post stating get the lowest RMS speakers you can find. Except maybe me, the rest of the people that know this tell the customers that when they come for an install at best buy. Thats why you get the most and best reviews on the lowest RMS speakers on their website...........

You are giving the advice that you give to steer someone towards $500-1000 is not that much.

I call troll. 100%
ROFL since 3.5" have a whole ton of "bass" anyway, but I'll defer to you since you're the obvious "expert" and have apparently worked on the JBL system in a 2008 Highlander Hybrid extensively enough to know the low frequency rolloffs associated with direct swapping 3.5" speakers. Not to mention no speaker has a dedicated amp channel apparently. Gotta love not having fader or balance?

Self esteem? I'm trying to help the guy. He gives us a budget and we can provide the help he needs. I stated 500-1000 because a "ton of money" means different things to everyone one here. Are your reading comprehension skills that low? Go to any hobby enthusiasts forum and see how much people's opinions on a "ton of money" vary. Marketing material I haven't even suggested anything.....

OP please state a budget and how comfortable you would be installing your own equipment.

3MPGS lost due to a "modest" power system and only from increased load on an alt???? I didn't lose 3 mpgs on ~2000 Watts and a 2 45 lbs sub in an enclosure. I lost about 10-12 miles per tank of gas when a tank (~15 gal) runs ~360 mi....You're a funny guy!

You sir are full of ****.
I'll let the OP and the rest of the forum decide that. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif If I'm so wrong then I will likely be called out eh?

1997 Lexus ES300 360mi per tank stock.

Lie.

Welcome to the internet. First post troll. Subs pimping for vendors.

I called out the OP because I know a first post troll when I see one. Soon as someone screams infinity speakers on stock HU I know its a BS troll. If you cared about it--you'd do it right not just pimp a speaker name that is a little expensive. Then get pimped over to the no name foreign speakers everyone on this site uses.

[quote name='Phased Out']1997 Lexus ES300 360mi per tank stock.

Lie.

Welcome to the internet. First post troll. Subs pimping for vendors.[/QUOTE]

85-90% highway during winter bro. Depending on season and AC use goes down to 330.:) Using winter value since windows down and AC usage make it more difficult to isolate change in mpg due to stereo. ;)

@papermaker did you spawn a demonchild who likes to argue with me as much as you do? Although your arguments/posts are about 10000000x better....

[quote name='Souldrop']85-90% highway during winter bro. Depending on season and AC use goes down to 330.:) Using winter value since windows down and AC usage make it more difficult to isolate change in mpg due to stereo. ;)

@papermaker did you spawn a demonchild who likes to argue with me as much as you do? Although your arguments/posts are about 10000000x better....[/QUOTE]
i plead the 5th.. ahhh hahahaha

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.