Unwanted noise in run position and engine noise when it's running.

Participant count
  • Participant list

shahineisawi

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi, I have kind of a weird issue and I don't even know where to being diagnosing it. To begin, I have a 2010 Toyota Tacoma with an aftermarket head unit, amp, and speakers along with a fully loaded Rockford 10 in sub. So the issue I'm having is 1. Engine noise when the engine is running. Normally I'd just get a ground loop isolator to see if it would fix the issue and if it did, I'd fix the grounding, however this is where the second issue confuses me. When the car is in the on position without the engine running, I get noise that's not as high pitched as the engine noise and is louder than the engine noise. To clarify this still occurs when the engine is running too. HOWEVER, when the key is in the ACC position, I don't get that noise at all. Any ideas on where I should start? The ground is currently running directly from my amp to the battery, so I'm not sure there is a better ground for me to attach to.

Hi, I have kind of a weird issue and I don't even know where to being diagnosing it. To begin, I have a 2010 Toyota Tacoma with an aftermarket head unit, amp, and speakers along with a fully loaded Rockford 10 in sub. So the issue I'm having is 1. Engine noise when the engine is running. Normally I'd just get a ground loop isolator to see if it would fix the issue and if it did, I'd fix the grounding, however this is where the second issue confuses me. When the car is in the on position without the engine running, I get noise that's not as high pitched as the engine noise and is louder than the engine noise. To clarify this still occurs when the engine is running too. HOWEVER, when the key is in the ACC position, I don't get that noise at all. Any ideas on where I should start? The ground is currently running directly from my amp to the battery, so I'm not sure there is a better ground for me to attach to.
I would try grounding directly to the frame of your vehicle. Go on youtube.com for suggestions.

Sounds like a ground loop, especially with the hokey ground. I'd ground to the body, do the big three. Run a ground from the radio to the amp's ground if noise persists. Possibly ground the RCA jackets at the radio end.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...