Type R's Smell Funny

ashtrey1212
10+ year member

Gimmie Some Sugar Baby!!!
Does anyone have Alpine Type R subwoofers? If so, are they supposed to smell funny after a while of them being used? Is it the breaking in process? I've already blown one but that was because one of them got disconnected and the other got all the juice from the amp and I got it replaced. Right now they don't smell blown or anything but I'm a little paranoid that maybe they might blow again. Anyways, I just want to know if the smell is normal or is there some kind problem that might occur in the near future?

when mine get hot after a while they smell funny sometimes, but it's just excess glue burning off... I usually back down at that point

But they don't do that with my new box... more airspace... more cooling

They smell when they start to get hot, so yeah I'd be careful if I were u, a little smell is fine, a lot means ure really hot... and we all know heat blows subs, so be careful.

How much wattage are u sending them, what amp?

yea its prolly glue buring off if u are playin at its peak wattage and turned all the up for awhile and then yea it will heat up unless u have alot of port area so they can breath. when u smell that burnt glue smell back off a little and let them cool off i dont think u have to turn them completey off just turn it down a notch or turn the bass knob down some. good luck f

supadave

They're not being over powered, 500 watts rms a piece from an Alpine PDX 1.1000. They're both 2 ohm DVC wired at 4 ohms a piece so 2 ohms together.

I've had them in several installs and they always would have that funny smell after wanging them real good. I wouldn't worry about it, just let them cool off every now and then when they are smelling like that.

when mine get hot after a while they smell funny sometimes, but it's just excess glue burning off... I usually back down at that point
But they don't do that with my new box... more airspace... more cooling

They smell when they start to get hot, so yeah I'd be careful if I were u, a little smell is fine, a lot means ure really hot... and we all know heat blows subs, so be careful.

How much wattage are u sending them, what amp?
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.