Too much power...

Participant count
  • Participant list

O2JR

Hello everyone. I'm new here. And I have a couple of questions to all of u the experts in car audio //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. I just bought a car audio system. I have a :

This is the amp I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360056766238

and this is the subwoofers I bought, I bought 2 of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Kicker-CompVR-07CVR124-subwoofer-4-ohm/dp/B000MSSOWQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1213559311&sr=8-1

I checked the RMS output of the subs and is 400 RMS max each sub. The amp I bought is 900 RMS x 1 channel @ 2 ohm and 500 RMS x 1 channel @ 4 ohm. MONO CLASS D. The subs have 4 ohms voice coils and If I connect them in Parallel It will give a 2 ohm load, and If I connect them iin series it will give me 8 ohm load. The amp is "supposed" to handle all the power both subs needs. Becase If the amp have 900 RMS x 1 channel and I'm using bridge with 2 subs, the power will decrease half that means 450 RMS x 2 channel @ 2 ohm, am I right? The problem is the next when I play the music to loud the amp get overheated too much right away ( 5 min ) and both fuse (30A x 2 = 60 A total) get burned instantly, I checked how much power came to the amp and is over 70A+ ( that means sometimes it gets 100 A, don't know why) so that's why both fuse got burned because ( i guess )) both subs needed more power. So I looked for solutions:

1) I'm afraid to damage my amp, So my temporary solution is not to put to loud the music, but I want to sound it loud //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

2) Capacitor: The capacitor what it does is, to store energy on demand of the amp when ur battery cant handle too much power. My problem is otherwise ( I guess ), The amp or the subs are demanding more power that I need but I don't get it because 900 RMS /2 = 450 RMS for the amp and the subs are 400 RMS each = 800 RMS, so I have 100 RMS left to use. I need something to stabilize the system to 60 A max, is there a way to do it? Or what other solution can u give me please. Thx in advance guys //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif ..peace...

i have the same subs off of that older model kenwood that is equivalent to yours. the subs will handle the 450 watts. first thing is did you crank up the gain all the way? if you have the dual 4 ohms you may have wired it down to one ohm. so your overheating the amp. http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp?submitted=true&woofer_qty=2&woofer_imp=4

Thx for the reply man //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif . I didn't put the gain all the way, the amp has 18db of bass. I set it at 3 or 5 max, because more than 5 might burn the fuses again. All the eq's of the amp arent set to the max, they are set less than mid. Also, both subwoofers are connected just like they appear in the manual. U have the manual right? In the manual there are 2 pics, one to connect them in parallel and one to connect them in series. Mine are connected in parallel. just like in here:

parallel.jpg

Since both coils are 4 ohm, If I connect them in parallel it will decrease impedance by half, different than connecting in series, It will double the impedance to 8 ohm and might cause damage to the amp.

and there is the other diagram, in series:

series.jpg

On the website u posted the diagrams are the next:

For 1 ohm:

2_4ohmDVC_1ohm.gif

For 4 Ohm:

2_4ohmDVC_4ohm.gif

I see diferent connections on all diagrams. I need 2 ohms of impedance to put the amp working on 450x2 @ 2ohms, and those last diagrams only shows me 1 ohm and 4 ohm. I followed Kicker's manual instructions, So I don't know what i am doing wrong :/. Or any suggestions can be taken, thx again ...peace...

Hello everyone. I'm new here. And I have a couple of questions to all of u the experts in car audio //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. I just bought a car audio system. I have a : 

This is the amp I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360056766238

and this is the subwoofers I bought, I bought 2 of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Kicker-CompVR-07CVR124-subwoofer-4-ohm/dp/B000MSSOWQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1213559311&sr=8-1

I checked the RMS output of the subs and is 400 RMS max each sub. The amp I bought is 900 RMS x 1 channel @ 2 ohm and 500 RMS x 1 channel @ 4 ohm. MONO CLASS D. The subs have 4 ohms voice coils and If I connect them in Parallel It will give a 2 ohm load, and If I connect them iin series it will give me 8 ohm load. The amp is "supposed" to handle all the power both subs needs. Becase If the amp have 900 RMS x 1 channel and I'm using bridge with 2 subs, the power will decrease half that means 450 RMS x 2 channel @ 2 ohm, am I right? The problem is the next when I play the music to loud the amp get overheated too much right away ( 5 min ) and both fuse (30A x 2 = 60 A total) get burned instantly, I checked how much power came to the amp and is over 70A+ ( that means sometimes it gets 100 A, don't know why) so that's why both fuse got burned because ( i guess )) both subs needed more power. So I looked for solutions:

1) I'm afraid to damage my amp, So my temporary solution is not to put to loud the music, but I want to sound it loud //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

2) Capacitor: The capacitor what it does is, to store energy on demand of the amp when ur battery cant handle too much power. My problem is otherwise ( I guess ), The amp or the subs are demanding more power that I need but I don't get it because 900 RMS /2 = 450 RMS for the amp and the subs are 400 RMS each = 800 RMS, so I have 100 RMS left to use. I need something to stabilize the system to 60 A max, is there a way to do it? Or what other solution can u give me please. Thx in advance guys //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif ..peace...

http://www.bcae1.com/

thx for the response. That site is very useful for people who don't know shet of electrical //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif. Thx god I know some, my dad is electronical eng and he know some of it. I'm a civil eng myself and I did take some classes of electricial eng, So i kinda get the picture of what Im doing. The main questions of it, is what's the correct connections to make the amps works well without getting both fuses to get burned. I read some interesting stuff on that site:

"Dual Voice Coil Woofers:

Dual Voice Coil (DVC) woofers are simply speakers with two voice coils wrapped around the same voice coil former. This allows the speaker to be connected in 2 different ways. With the individual coils wired in series, the resulting impedance will be 2 times the impedance of each individual coil. Wiring the coils in parallel will make the impedance 1/2 the impedance of each individual coil. This means that a speaker with dual 4 ohm coils can be wired to 2 ohms or 8 ohms."

vomresspkrinstprim.gif

I have the same example, I have 4 ohm DVC. and I have them wired in parallel so I have 2 ohm load. the amp is 900 RMS x 1 channel @ 2 ohm. Im using 2 subs, that means 450 x 2 channels @ 2 ohm, am I right?

Also I read this:

"Mono Amplifiers:

Many mono amplifiers have 4 speaker output terminals (two positives and two negatives). Lets compare a stereo amplifier capable of driving a 2 ohm load on each channel to a mono amplifier capable of driving a 2 ohm load. Let's say that we have four 4 ohm speakers. If we want to run all 4 speakers on the stereo amplifier, we would simply connect 2 speakers to each channel. Now, when we look at the mono amplifier amp with 4 speaker terminals (the same number as the stereo amplifier), you might think that you can connect 2 speakers to each pair of speaker terminals. The problem is... the speaker terminals inside the amp are connected together in a parallel configuration (2 positives together 2 negatives together). So, if we connect 2 speakers to each pair of speaker terminals on the amplifier, we actually have a 1 ohm load. You can check to see if the terminals are in parallel with an ohm meter."

That's the part I'm lost atm, how do I have to connect the wires to the amp?? Can someone help me on doing some kind of diagram?

I need to know the connection that I have to do from the speakers to the amp here:

spek.jpg

...peace...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.