Thoughts on this setup

Participant count
  • Participant list

imp4pdabest
10+ year member

I GOT DA BURNA
2 Phoenix Gold Tantrum 1200.1 amps strapped to power a custom TC 12" with a 4hp motor.

I have 2 PG Tantrum 1200.1 amps. They're rated 1200rms @ 1-4 ohms, but all birthsheets I've seen show them putting out 1400+ @ 14.4v. I don't own the TC yet, but I have a chance to get a sick deal on it. The sub was built to handle 2500rms easily, 7k + on burbs. This will all be going into an 05 Accord sedan. Of course the electrical will be beefed up to properly handle the power. My enclosure would be built for the TC to get pretty low. Any thoughts? I'm a fan of SQ but for this setup I'm chasing SPL. Should I pull the trigger and snatch the TC? Does this sound like a good setup? All opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks people.

Sounds like a great sub but the amps are meh. Those amps have a chip in them that once it breaks they will never be useable again. I would advise you sell them and get a single more reliable amp.

Sounds like a great sub but the amps are meh. Those amps have a chip in them that once it breaks they will never be useable again. I would advise you sell them and get a single more reliable amp.
Really? I had no clue these amps had some kinda chip in them. Everything I've read about them online has been positive feedback. I had one powering a 12" W7, blew the W7. Then put it on a 12" Xcon. Even though the Xcon wanted more, it pushed it pretty good. But thanks for shedding light about this chip inside of them, which I really know nothing about. Appreciate it.

Just read through that thread. Which leads to the most obvious question... how often do these chips fail?
Well the amps are hit or miss. Some will die out after a few years of use some run quite well. It was assumed that a good portion of the amps had something defective with the chips and that is why they failed. I personally like an amp I can have repaired from any issue that may occur. IMO I would sell them, they are worth a decent amount of money.

Well the amps are hit or miss. Some will die out after a few years of use some run quite well. It was assumed that a good portion of the amps had something defective with the chips and that is why they failed. I personally like any amp I can have repaired from any issue that may occur. IMO I would sell them, they are worth a decent amount of money.
That was the next question I was going to ask. If something did happen to one of the chips, an amp repair company like Amp Medics couldn't replace them?

That was the next question I was going to ask. If something did happen to one of the chips, an amp repair company like Amp Medics couldn't replace them?
Nope if it is chip failure you have some nice paperweights.

Nope if it is chip failure you have some nice paperweights.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKC! Last thing I would possibly want to hear.

Power wise they're really good, I guess it's just a hit or miss thing like you said. I guess I've been lucky to have picked up good ones so far. But the thought of the chip failing will always be on my mind. Kinda unsure what to do. I've always wanted a Crescendo 5500D.

Sounds like a nice setup. Depends on how much you can get the TC for, I guess.
Really good price from a coworker. It's brand new, he free air tested it just to show me it works, professionally re-coned. I didn't even negotiate the price, that's how good the offer was.

Really good price from a coworker. It's brand new, he free air tested it just to show me it works, professionally re-coned. I didn't even negotiate the price, that's how good the offer was.

Where did he get the recone from?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.