subwoofer surround separating from basket - will glue do the trick?

bostonkid92
10+ year member

i have a 10" alpine type r and the entire surround is completely unglued from the basket. the spider looks fine and still glued all around so does that mean the voice coil will stay aligned or could it become unaligned if i reglue the surround a tiny bit off? i can't twist the surround at all so when i glue it back on it should be just like it was, right?

i'm thinking it should be able to be glued back on and be okay but idk.

if this has happened to you, how did you fix it? what glue did you use?

haha that would be unfortunate. i looked at the sticky thread on reconing but didn't see anything about clothes pins although i know you need to do that.

last quick questions...

1. does ca glue brand matter or are they all pretty much the same? any brands to avoid?

1. how long do i let it sit before taking the pins off and using the sub?

2. while it's sitting with the clips, does temperature matter? my room, which is where it will be, is about 56 degrees Fahrenheit

Your best bet is all purpose goop. Comes in a blue tube with goop in big red lettering. You can find it at home depot, lowes etc... Make sure to clean basket off before reglueing.

Proper way is to remove dust cap so you can reshim the coil. Then reglue surround goop is best for surrounds but ca glue is faster. Ca glue is basically super glue that uses a spray activator to speed up cure time. I'd get the goop though because you will need to use goop to reattach the dust cap after surround is reattached and shims are removed.

Proper way is to remove dust cap so you can reshim the coil. Then reglue surround goop is best for surrounds but ca glue is faster. Ca glue is basically super glue that uses a spray activator to speed up cure time. I'd get the goop though because you will need to use goop to reattach the dust cap after surround is reattached and shims are removed.
****. do i have to reshim? idk how easy it will be to remove the dust cap since it's a type r and it's all one piece. it's not worthless right? it is possible to get it working again right? gah lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.