Sub gets "stuck" on bass notes

Participant count
  • Participant list

Evan Kays

CarAudio.com Newbie
Just installed my first sub into my car and I'm having a weird issue that I can't find any mention of anywhere else.

Intermittently my sub gets "stuck" on a bass note and plays it at full volume even if I turn the volume down or to mute. The only way I can stop it is if I pull the fuse out of the amp. I've tried regrounding it to a new location, tightened all the terminals, etc. No luck. Very new to amps and subs so maybe there's something I'm missing.

For note:
Head unit: pioneer mvh1400nex

Amp: Majestic Titanium MA-850T (I found this in a boat in the middle of the wood so I'm suspicious of it)

Sub: Kicker solo baric from 90s

Car: 89 c4 corvette

What am I missing/what should I try?

Thanks

Lord, have not seen that Majestic amp in ages, about 300-350 watts if I recall. Could have a bad set of RCA's. You need to isolate it to the source of the signal or the amp. Get yourself an adapter for your cell phone or laptop and play something off youtube or music that you have stored on your phone or laptop and see if the issue returns.

- OR -

Whichever jack interface will Work.

If it is the amp, get yourself an inexpensive replacement, many to choose from. Recently installed one of these in my grandsons car, works great!

Last edited:
Just installed my first sub into my car and I'm having a weird issue that I can't find any mention of anywhere else.

Intermittently my sub gets "stuck" on a bass note and plays it at full volume even if I turn the volume down or to mute. The only way I can stop it is if I pull the fuse out of the amp. I've tried regrounding it to a new location, tightened all the terminals, etc. No luck. Very new to amps and subs so maybe there's something I'm missing.

For note:

Amp: Majestic Titanium MA-850T (I found this in a boat in the middle of the wood so I'm suspicious of it)

Thanks
Evan my friend, your problem starts with “I found an amp in the woods”, my strong suspicion is you have a bad amp.

Based on your description of the problem its sounds like you getting electrica

For note:

Thanks
i’m gonna make the short and sweet, you need a new amp. Seriously.

Lord, have not seen that Majestic amp in ages, about 300-350 watts if I recall. Could have a bad set of RCA's. You need to isolate it to the source of the signal or the amp. Get yourself an adapter for your cell phone or laptop and play something off youtube or music that you have stored on your phone or laptop and see if the issue returns.

- OR -

Whichever jack interface will Work.

If it is the amp, get yourself an inexpensive replacement, many to choose from. Recently installed one of these in my grandsons car, works great!

Weirdly it's a 200 watt. Can't find mention of it anywhere.rcas are brand new. Definitely was the amp like ohiomike says
Evan my friend, your problem starts with “I found an amp in the woods”, my strong suspicion is you have a bad amp.

Based on your description of the problem its sounds like you getting electrica

i’m gonna make the short and sweet, you need a new amp. Seriously.
Yeah I really wanted my abandoned woods amp to work though! And it did for 3 is hours. You turned out to be right though. Took it apart and a bunch of the capacitors were bent at crazy angles. I believe that means their blown. They are near the rca inputs so it makes sense that my signal was all crazy.

I forgot to mention that the boat was full of water and the amp was too. Might be part of it...

Anyway I'll buy a new amp (ugh not as fun as finding one)

Thanks guys!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...