Sub Box Ported Size Question

Participant count
  • Participant list

los33

Car Audio G
Houston, TX
Been visiting more SPL competitions and have been noticing almost everyone whether they have 2 or more subs they used larger ported boxes.

Sub(s) currently being tested are multiple different types of the db drive wdx series.

I currently am testing one out which has a recommendation to use a 3.4 cu ft. ported box for optimal experience (this is a spl sub).

I have tested the same sub in a smaller ported box which was around 2.3 cu ft., The sub really hit low and hard being in my gmc sierra. I did notice if i had the windows down or the doors open it would hit even harder, but not to the point that you could call it a true spl setup. Also that was on 800 watts @ 2 ohms.

Now ive have heard another set (2 wdx) in another non wall setup doing around 3.2 cu ft and it was run off a Rockford fosgate punch at 1000 watts @ 1 ohm.

The subs hit so hard in a hatchback that it made people do the normal bail out because of the intense pressure as a wall would do.

The real question to anyone who can answer this is from the understanding that 2 subs will only gain you 1-6db on the meter, but will one sub give you this same intense feeling or close to it in a larger box ported at recommended freq which is around 38 hz?

I think it really depends whether or not you'll get that gain on the meter. You'll gain more like 1-3 db at most for adding another sub. One sub in a large ported box can sound louder than 2 subs but 2 subs in a large ideal ported box will be even louder. I personally think it's a different "feeling" having 1 sub compared to 2 or more. You really have an advantage with more cone area because it's not working as hard as 1 sub to get the same volume. Different boxes and different cars will give you different peaks so it can louder at one frequency, and quieter on another. More subs will sound louder at lower volumes compared to the 1 sub. There's a possibility though that if you build one really good box that takes up a lot of space, it can be pretty **** loud and might still achieve what you're looking for.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.