Skar VD10 or other budget shallow mount subs?

LetMyBeatPound

CarAudio.com Exclusive
A friend wants a system for his 2017 Chevy Cruze. He wants a decent amount of bump but doesn't want to take up alot of space. I told him either 2 shallow mount 10"s or a single 12". He likes the idea of the 2 shallow mount 10"s.

I was looking at the Skar VD-10 D2s.

Do any of you have any experience with shallow mount subs and being shollow mounts do the sound different or is there anything I need to take into consideration?

Or is there any other shollow mount subs I should check out we have a $50-$100 budget per sub. He wants 1000w-1500w.

Thanks in advance for any replys

i know a guy has vd 10 in truck center console box for years still works sounds ok for sealed i guess.. what amp is he using? u seen the $69 rockvilles? they pretty shallow guys said 2 12's have hit 150db, the RE s. e. x . copies just smaller coil but look pretty good 5.75" depth on the 12 https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/w12k6d4-v2/ wow just saw they already went up $5, they probably be $89 or so in few months and the 3" coils could go from $109 to $139 when they get more, in 2-3 months. they sold out because of exo's video hitting 140db with 1 which is same he did with $320 d hz hotel in same box/amp..

Last edited by a moderator:
only shallow mount sub id get these days is the SI BM MKV 12 but its more pricey, although its much cheaper now because its on preorder and will be available in the next 30 days

you need to make sure he doesnt have high expectations for output, you just wont get it with shallows

I had a skar vd-10 in my truck and it wasn't bad. Didnt have nearly the output I wanted in the small sealed box but that wasn't the subs fault.

If you are willing to take a chance at Sundown yards sale, the sd-3 10's are $65 each. I got one months back but it had coil tick. I didn't have many options for a sub for behind the sub seat in my single cab truck so , I decided to give the yardsale another try. Got lucky this time. Only thing wrong was a nick on the back plate. All else is good. Sub sound very nice in 1.25@32-35hz. Lots of people run the sealed and say the sound good sealed as well.

He is worried about space, he has a very sick child he takes to Colorado from Albuquerque once or twice a month so he spends alot of time traveling and in his vehicle because he also does private investigative work. I'm not to sure of the space I'm working with yet I still have to go measure his trunk. He doesn't want crazy bass, just a little trunk rattle and to make his music more full. Tho we we're talking and he wants 12"s now. So I was thinking the VD 12s D4 on a maybe a SoundQubed or Skar 1k. Haven't decided ported or sealed yet, but will probably go ported. He listening preference is Rap, Techno, and Rock. If I can get the box to be about 3.5-4.5ft³ and still acceptable size I will talk him out of shallow mounts. Also where is a good place to buy the lineout adapters for the Chevy stock headunits? I already messed one car up because the person wanted to cheap out and not get the adapter to give HFP outputs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.