Setting gains for subs with o'scope. 40, 50, or 60hz?

Participant count
  • Participant list

KilluminatiDre
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Japan
So I've been doing some reading on setting gains with the oscope but I always see something different when it comes to which test tone to use. I understand different frequencies clip at different points so which freq would be be best and safest to use when setting gains for subs?

40-50hz seems to be most common in current music so setting gains at 50 seems resonable. most of the songs i listen to regularly peak at 28-40hz so setting my gains at ~35 hz would "seem" ideal. but im just guessing here.

Matt

I never understood the DMM method with test tones because if the frequency changes then so will the voltage.

So I've been doing some reading on setting gains with the oscope but I always see something different when it comes to which test tone to use. I understand different frequencies clip at different points so which freq would be be best and safest to use when setting gains for subs?
Different frequencies don't clip at different points. If your LPF is turned off, it doesn't matter which freq you use. If you have a LPF on then pick a frequency that's at least an octave below the cutoff freq. so you're not in the slope.

I never understood the DMM method with test tones because if the frequency changes then so will the voltage.
No it won't. As long as you're below the LPF knee.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.