Pure SQ upgrade....Looking for new sound

I appreciate smooth, warm, detailed sound.

For frame of reference, and realizing that this is a car audio forum, my home system is where I have spent the bulk of my efforts getting to the point that there is nothing left to upgrade...I am truly happy with the sound from all sources.

I use a Cary Audio Tube pre-amp (could go into detail about tubes and caps, but won't bore you)...into Krell & MCintosh solid state amps...into B&W Nautilus 802 speakers. I mention this system, because if you are familiar with the components, you realize how revealing the B&W/Krell combo is...but the tubes offer a warmth with detail to the sound. I have a Cary Audio 303/300 Solid State/tube CD player that I use in tube mode 80% of the time...the other source is a Rega P9 turntable...Vinyl/CD listening if 50/50. Also Denon SACD/DVD-A for shits and grins.

Again, this should give you an idea of the sound I am looking for...I like the detail but not at the expense of warm sound without fatigue.

One of the issues is the truck itself. The Dodge 3/4 ton is a work truck...not made like the 1/2 tons...its a true tow/haul/load truck without concern for noise. I have deadened the doors and will look into dash, firewall, and roof.

My concern is too smooth or warm a sound from speakers in an audio shop could sound like **** when the road noise, engine acceleration, etc. come into play.

Mcintosh is, at least in the home world, using autoformers on the output stage which allow for almost a new-school tube like warmth without sacrifice of detail. That is why I have put heavy consideration into their amps...I am familiar with them.

Zapco...CDT, Dyn, and Focal are all suggestions from a couple of the sales dudes at Woofersetc and locally.

I am heading to my PMs now:)

Again, thanks for the direction

Jer

Blaze...that link for Steve's truck is insane. I am rethinking this entire deal because of that...money better spent modifying some of the unused space and sound dampening vs. higher end electronics.
You can use high-end but without the right room, you'll never see SQ your looking for. But now your thinking right....Post pics when done...

Dnyaudio will provide you with the smoother, warmer sound. You might also want to look into Morel or Morel based speakers like that of DLS' higher end sets. Despite being of the sound you're looking for, there are those that will argue poor/outdated design and less than stellar distortion and stored energy levels.

CDT may work, although some consider them a bit overpriced for what they are. I can't say I've heard any higher end models though. My bro runs Elemental Design's EDi 6500 set which people is based off of and generally compared to CDT's popular HD series.

Focal may or may not be what you're looking for. You might enjoy the woofer, but I'm not sure how the tweeter will come across for you. It's a very well liked set, but Focal tweeters are almost an aquired taste.

I guess one question is if you plan on running a prebuild component set or are willing to run an active setup allowing you more driver options. If you're willing to run active, you can look into options from Scanspeaker, Usher, Seas, Peerless, etc. simply using home audo drivers. Going this route allows you to stay with leading edge technology and superior drivers.

i would say go with the newer line of ES components, than the ones woofersetc.com has on special. I've listened to the old ES and while they had very good delicate detail in the midrange it lacked the midbass. i would hold out until the new ES-06 and ES-06+ come out. You can try the new ES-02 or HD-2 driver which my dealer just got and those are some serious looking drivers. Check your PMs.
Aren't the ES-06s out?

I have a new pair sitting here.....

Also scored one of the few sets of M6+s available over a month ago which are the slightly scaled back version of the ES-06+.

What the M6 is to the ES-06 (slighly less refined....as you know.)

But mine are midbass duty only so no difference.

I actually have the M6s, ES-06s and M6+s.

Got a good package deal and decided to only keep the M6+s.....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.