Power cable fuse question

Participant count
  • Participant list

aqua acura
10+ year member

I feel like an idiot asking this, but better be safe than sorry. If my amp recommends a 60 amp fuse for the power cable, is it okay if I use a higher fuse? I have the choice of buying either a 60 amp agu fuse or a 150 amp anl fuse (wire kit) and wasn't sure if I can use the 120 or not (anl fuses are better, so I'd like to go with that). They're the same price, one's stinger, other tsunami. Thanks, need to know pretty quick.

well if you up the fuse rating that means more than the recommended 60A will get through, does that sound like a good thing to you?

Is there a fuse on the amp itself? I bet that there is.

One thing to remember. Since most amps are already internally fused, the fuse in the cable is supposed to protect the wire not the amp. If the gauge of your cable can support 150 amps without causing the insulation to melt and cause a fire, you will be fine.

http://www.bcae1.com/

Scroll down to #14. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/graduate.gif.d982460be9f153bb54e5d4cb744f6ae8.gif

so then, would it be better (safer) to get wires with the 120 amp or the 60 amp? btw, the 120 is a stinger 4 gauge kit, and the 60 is a tsunami 4 gauge kit, and 4 gauges can support 125 amps.

Okay a little clarification. I'm running an Alpine MRD-M1005, at 2 ohms so it will be pushing 900-1100 RMS (from birthsheet). Now the recommendation is a 60 amp fuse, but that can only hold around 800 RMS and I'm thinking that recommendation was for 4 ohms. Should I get around a 120 amp ANL fuse kit instead of the 60 amp AGU fuse kit? The kit actually comes with a 150 amp fuse, but the recommendation for a 4 gauge wire is 125 amps or less, so I will get a 120 amp fuse if I get that kit. Any help on if I should get either power wire over the other? Sorry for my...confusing...ness.

Stinger and Tsunami are both good brands but if I had to choose one over the other, I would go with the Stinger.

I am assuming that for now the Alpine is going to be the only amp that you are running. Crutchfield says that your amp has 4 20amp fuses meaning that it can use roughly up to 80 amps of electricity at full tilt. Even if you go with the 60 amp fuse I seriously doubt that you will blow it (unless you play 45 hz test tones at full blast for 5 minutes:eyebrow:)

If you decide to add an amp for your mids and highs, the 120amp fuse should still be able to support a moderately sized amp along with the sub amp since you will still have 40 amps of capacity on your fuse.

I hope that this makes sense. I tried to explain it as simply as I could.

Good Luck! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Perfect sense, thank you very much. I was just a bit worried because bcae said that agu fuses could only support 750 rms, but i think that is a "safe" level and I probably could blow it if I blasted it, but I'm not using this system to beat the hell outa my back. Thank you very much, I'll look at 60-80 amp fuses.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.