Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Zed Audio Leviathan III

Votes: 11 55.0%

• Total voters

gckless
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
San Antonio
I currently have a Zed Audio Leviathan III. I've got an opportunity to snag a Zapco Z-150.6 at a killer price, but it would require selling the Zed to get it. What would you do, and why?

If it matters, I'm currently running the Levi as a powerful 4 channel. Running mids at 8 ohms, I needed some big power so I'm bridging a pair of channels instead of getting two amps.

Can't see the change really being worth it. It wont' cosmetically match the rest of your amps and it's not going to sound any better or much different. If you REALLY wanted to run zapco I guess having the brand could be worth it to you, but that's the only reason I'd do it. I've ran ARC, Zapco, etc over the years and they are all good amps but there is a point of diminishing returns, can't see any real reason to go with zapco except the name if it really strikes your fancy. You should be able to get good money for the Zed. I have personally switched out a Arc 2500 for a comparable Zapco and I didnt' notice any real difference and I'd say Zed is in the same quality area.

Zapco = SQ but the Zed Is really nice too hard to choose.
Sounds like someone hasn't seen the ZX series amplifiers. Need a 26K amp? Because Zapco makes one. Doesn't sound very SQ to me.

I have personally switched out a Arc 2500 for a comparable Zapco and I didnt' notice any real difference
You traded one Zeff design for another Zeff design and couldn't hear the difference? Can't say I'm surprised :p

It does come down to personal preference. As for matching aesthetics, his Zed is currently parked next to a DC 5.0K. I think the Zapco would look more at home next to it, personally.

But it is purely a choice-based transaction. Can't go wrong with either. That is, unless one has already had to go back to its designer twice. That leaves me room for concern.

I want to clarify as well that I'm not talking about the OP's Zed that has been sent back. I have a local buddy who is praying he doesn't have to have his Zed dropped off a third time to Mantz for repair. Kinda makes it hard for me to recommend them, despite their amazing efficiency.

How's the service you get when you call Zapco on the phone? If you're having trouble do they give you their cellphone number to call on a weekend?

That being said, Stephen had told me a number of years ago that Zapco mad a great product (though he bad-mouthed a few things that he thought were poorly designed). The fact that he would recommend someone else's product pretty much sold me that he was a solid guy to deal with.

I have a lot of hours of use and abuse on my Lev V1 under the back seat of my Jeep and have had zero problems since the original protect issue with the first batch was resolved. No complaints.

That all being said, you don't hear many people regretting buying Zapco amps either, so I expect either will put a smile on your face.

Points taken.

The Zed is small, super efficient, and more powerful, while having more options in the settings and pre-amp stage. The Zapco is class A/B (though that doesn't necessarily mean it will sound better. Will sound different, possibly better, but that may not even be perceptable to me), might have a little higher resale value, and, well, is Zapco. I've gotten great support from Mr. Mantz and Vertex Audio (where I bought it from), and I'm sure the guys at Zapco would be just as good in CS as well.

Just a couple things going through my head.

I have own the z150.4 and like it a lot. Haven't found anything to complain about with it and love its power. It is reasonably small for the amount of a/b power it puts out. One small thing I don't really like is the generic looking Korean amp style heatsink as zapco has always had a special look to them like old Us Amps, Phoenix Gold, Rockford, and PPI. I don't like great companies moving to away from things that make them stand out no matter how small of a change.

Chances are I will just keep the Zed for now, provided I don't have any more problems. It's with Mr. Mantz for the second time, so I'm going Zap if it's not smooth sailing from here on out. I'm playing the three strikes rule.

Chances are I will just keep the Zed for now, provided I don't have any more problems. It's with Mr. Mantz for the second time, so I'm going Zap if it's not smooth sailing from here on out. I'm playing the three strikes rule.
Hopefully you don't have anymore problems with the leviathan then

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...