Please help....subwoofer problem

Participant count
  • Participant list

DaveVT
10+ year member

Like A Boss
VT
I bought a set of oldschool kicker comp C10's from a member on the forum. He made a vid of both showing the impedance and of them playing. I tested them today when they arrived and one reads 7.6 ohms and the other 26.6 but that changes of course if you move the cone. After moving it around a bit and letting it sit for 10 minutes im getting a reading of 20.9 ohms....the suspension is VERY loose....the cone moves very easily but there no noises and it does not smell burnt at all. Is the sub gone?.......

They are, ive also pulled the sub out of the enclosure and tested it.....still same weird readings. Just checked the other one and the suspension was very loose too but it reads just fine....

reinstalled the other sub now its sitting at 13.7 ohms....other one still reads perfect.

Man this ******* blows. These things are 100% mint and one gets fucked up in shipping.......

No amp yet so I used my home receiver with the treble at minimum....played it at a low volume and slowly increased.....retested after and sitting at 7.6-7.7 ohms

If the coil was off a bit that must have realigned it.....Anyway, all set now.....I would have been so mad if one was dead lol

the spiders were really soft on those subs because they were ment for sealed enclosures.

the voice coil off center or out of the sub isnt going to change imp as long as the sub is at rest.

it will not correct itself eather you had a bad connection OR ur tinsel lead is gonna break somewhere.

OR ur tinsel lead is gonna break somewhere.
^Prime suspect from what I've read so far.

The tinsel leads were the weak link on my old Orion XTR2's. They would get very black, and eventually fail, at the point where the tinsel lead meets the woofer cone.

Tinsel leads look really good.....either way, is there a way to fix this if they break?.

Misaligned coil would not cause wierd impedence. Clearly you were doing something wrong in measuring or as someone else said tinsel was failing.

Some subs are pretty easy to repair tinsels on, really depends where it breaks and what kind of sub. You'd need to pry off the dustcap to really tell if it's an easy fix or a total wash.

Misaligned coil would not cause wierd impedence. Clearly you were doing something wrong in measuring or as someone else said tinsel was failing.
Some subs are pretty easy to repair tinsels on, really depends where it breaks and what kind of sub. You'd need to pry off the dustcap to really tell if it's an easy fix or a total wash.
Im definitely not taking off the dustcap unless it dies completely....besides, I would probably damage the cone if I tried since they seem to be glued on quite well and considering the subs are in mint condition id really like to keep them that way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.