need help with sub, not sounding right

Johnston_2007
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
i have a kicker 12" l5 dual 4 ohm and im powering it with an eclipse 3322 amp. i thought the amp was pushing out 664 watts x1 at 2 ohms but discovered its only pushing out about 350. but my question is sometimes like when i listen to rock songs like afi and other bands of that sort the bass is off and sounds kinda mushy and i dont like it. its not tight. my box is 4 cubic feet and ported to 35 hrtz i belive. its 34 inches long 18 inches deep and 14 inches tall. the port is 3 inches wide and 14 inches tall and goes back 13.5 inches and has another piece that goes over 14 inches. if i got a bigger amp to supply more power woudl that make the sub not so mushy? or should i make the box smaller or what. thanxs alot -andy-

I'm not saying ported boxes arent right for rock songs but between my sealed shiva and my ported sx, the sealed shiva kicks ass with rock songs(especially with AFI //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif).

I would look at sealing your sub in a medium to large enclosure with some polyfill stuffed in it. Those subs will not be the most accurate in a ported box that size tuned to 34 hz.

thanxs i will have to check into it. right now im looking at a diff. amp such as the diamond d51200.1. and i will see how that works out. and usually i listen to rap music but sometimes i listen to rock and music such as the dave matthews band. and stuff like that. but i built the box to kickers's specs for an spl box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.