Need help - no sound out of my new subwoofer

Participant count
  • Participant list

VTLexus
10+ year member

I just installed a 500W mono amplifer to a single 12" subwoofer. i am not getting sound and am having trouble figuring out why.

i have 12V on the power wire, turn on is ~6.5V, and the ground is in place. the amp turns on but nothing out of the sub. i should note the light on the front of the amp flickers slightly when it's on.

i double checked the equipment by putting both in a friends car, and they both work jsut fine. i'm thinkign its either the 6.5V for the turn on, a bad ground, or something wrong with the signal wire tapping. i did try running 12V for the remote turn on straight from the power - still no luck.

i didnt have t-tap connectors (didnt know about them when i started), so i was splicing into the wires and soldering them onto the LOC...slightly mess job.

can anyone help? is there a way to check the signal out of the LOC, or even into the LOC?

what part is "shitty wiring"?

the car i have only has 6.5V out of the remote tap off the stock amp, but i tried running a constant 12V for the remote and it didnt fix it.

how can i make sure the ground is adequate? i put the terminal cap on a bolt that ties down the stock amp in the trunk, which stems from the chasis.

what part is "shitty wiring"?
the car i have only has 6.5V out of the remote tap off the stock amp, but i tried running a constant 12V for the remote and it didnt fix it.

how can i make sure the ground is adequate? i put the terminal cap on a bolt that ties down the stock amp in the trunk, which stems from the chasis.
that bolt may not be a good ground... test the resistance from the battery - to the amp ground terminal

post the #

i'll put up pics in a few minutes, im in the middle of workimg on this and they areon my camera.

the car is an is350. going to check the resistance now. keep in mind its 1am now so some of this is slow going.

was reading 0 ohms..but i didnt have the car on, does it matter?
that means the bolt is not a good ground.....run a set of jumper cables from the batt negative to the end of the ground wire and see if the amp turns on....my bet is that it will

if this works, then you need to find a much better ground

that means the bolt is not a good ground.....run a set of jumper cables from the batt negative to the end of the ground wire and see if the amp turns on....my bet is that it will
if this works, then you need to find a much better ground
just for my reference, what should be the impedance on the ground terminal at teh amp?

i dont think i have jumps that long, but i can try another ground. why would the amp turn on by sending a negative signal to the ground?

just for my reference, what should be the impedance on the ground terminal at teh amp?
i dont think i have jumps that long, but i can try another ground. why would the amp turn on by sending a negative signal to the ground?
on mine from the amp term to the batt - is ~.2 or less

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.