my house
What do you recommend for >$500 with:

SQ #1

time alignment

subwoofer level control

3 sets of 4v preouts or higher

decent EQ capabilities - independent L/R is preferred

active capable is also preferred but not a deal breaker

When do this years new models start popping up?

The Eclipse 7200 is fugley & a little pricey

The Pioneer 880 looks to have everything I'm looking for, except the fact that its a Pioneer. I tried a Pioneer before & didn't care much for its sound & interface.

The Kenwood x993 looks pretty nice but how does it sound? It lacks good EQ & x/over capabilities as well.

The Alpine 9887 looks like the front runner. Too bad you can't independently adjust the L/R EQ.

Go back a couple years and get a CDA 9835 off ebay..One of the most flexible and best sounding 'pines ever..won't do sep l/r eq but has excellent eq/x-over functions..

Get the Alpine 9887 and then run imprint
x2

If you go that route, I have some Imprint guidelines that can save you some time. Awesome HU and Imprint rocks. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

Imprint doesn't intrest me much, I've seen too many mixed reviews. Since my ears are doing the listening, I'd rather tune with those.

Since my ears are doing the listening, I'd rather tune with those.
You seem to have a pretty good handle on things. Like you, I dismissed the Eclipse on the basis of its cosmetics. I had a 880 and sold it for a 9887. The 880 was more flexible of the two, its appearance wasn't bad, but it was an ergonomic nightmare. The Alpine is much more user-friendly, but it does lack the Pioneer's extensive tuning features, as you know. Sound wise, outside of relatively subtle tonal differences, the two are similar.

Imprint doesn't intrest me much, I've seen too many mixed reviews. Since my ears are doing the listening, I'd rather tune with those.
As do mine (ears that is)...and as a user of Imprint, it is very good on the ears! You just need to know how to set the amps before running the software. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

A Clarion DXZ9255 looks to be exactly what I want. Too bad it's so expensive:(

Are there any nice new Alpines coming out this year? I might just hold off and see what their next line-up looks like.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.